Chain upgrades for my ZMFs
Jan 12, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #16 of 28
I've heard the Homage with ZMFs back then. Sounded pretty good especially with the high impedance switch and medium gain: Holographic with pretty dense tonality.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #17 of 28
• Here is a different slant:
• You have some very good h/p/a - especially the Beyer A20.
• Put a R2R non-oversampling DAC in your system. I am thinking: MHDT Lab Orchid. This is very organic sounding. Plus, it has a tube buffer (6922 type, which can be 'rolled').
🎼 🙂 🎶

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #18 of 28
• Here is a different slant:
• You have some very good h/p/a - especially the Beyer A20.
• Put a R2R non-oversampling DAC in your system. I am thinking: MHDT Lab Orchid. This is very organic sounding. Plus, it has a tube buffer (6922 type, which can be 'rolled').
🎼 🙂 🎶
Ooh, even more temptation, I appreciate the steer and that DAC looks very intriguing…might have to do a bit more research- and saving up!

Jan 15, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 28
I'd opt for this option. I tried the Valhalla 2 with my Aeolus and it was the first revelation I had at how big a difference an OTL amp could make. But you're right, not very much classic "tubey" warmth. It's definitely a tube effect, but it's on the drier, more expansive side. The way that amp makes the bass come alive is especially delightful.

But also since Schiit is likely to release the Valhalla 3 in the near future, I would stay away for now. I haven't tried the TA-26, but if it's anything like the Darkvoice I used to own, you'll absolutely get that tube flavor you're looking for! You might find it's all you need on your tube journey. It'll bump those HD600's up to the next level as well :wink:
Hey, thanks a million for the insight; and having something that will sing with the HD600 is definitely an added bonus... I still really love that, particularly as a lighter sitting headphone for when I just want to throw something on while working on something and not focused. Would love to get to something like the ZMF Pendant SE in your signature at some point... but for now I think exploring those entry level OTLs will be a good enough shift for me for a while. Thanks again and enjoy the music!

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #20 of 28
Thanks to all for your expert feedback and advice. In the end I jumped on a second-hand TA-26 with upgraded tubes from @vaporsynthwave (who had been a real pleasure to deal with).

Looking forward to trying out my first OTL and hopefully spending time playing around with the various options I have available to me.

Huge thanks also to @DenverW who has provided some great support and tips via PM which has re-ignited my determination to complete my BHC build as soon as the current work peak frees up, hopefully by second half of Feb. Very thankful for the generous time and support!

Thanks to all who posted and happy listening :)

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #21 of 28
Thanks to all for your expert feedback and advice. In the end I jumped on a second-hand TA-26 with upgraded tubes from @vaporsynthwave (who had been a real pleasure to deal with).

Looking forward to trying out my first OTL and hopefully spending time playing around with the various options I have available to me.

Huge thanks also to @DenverW who has provided some great support and tips via PM which has re-ignited my determination to complete my BHC build as soon as the current work peak frees up, hopefully by second half of Feb. Very thankful for the generous time and support!

@DenverW is the best at supporting Crack builds! I built mine after he talked me into it, and it was some of the most fun I’ve ever had in the hobby (and might do another one just for fun).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the TA-26 when you start listening to it!

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #22 of 28
Lol, ya'll are gonna make me blush. I just get excited about audio and fun :).

And I will say that I'm certainly not the best, but I do appreciate that. Visit @L0rdGwyn 's DIY and Aegis threads; he provides a level of support for DIY that I can barely see, it's so far ahead. :)

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #23 of 28

@DenverW has been a great help to me on my tube journey as well. just passing it along :)

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #24 of 28
I have the Orchid on my main system which I love. When I use it with my Woo Audio WA2, can not notice any difference with the ifi Zen DAC Signature V2. Been thinking about getting a Denafrips DAC but probably be wasting money. Have ZMF Verite Opens and Closed.

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #25 of 28
Just tracking back to this to thank all for their insights and recommendations; ended up getting the TA-26 second hand, with upgraded tubes (Kenrad VT231 and 6AS7G Svetlana Winged "C").

Extremely happy with the holographic sound that it gives, and have been listening to it almost exclusively with my Eikons and Mojo 2 in recent weeks; the sound is great across the board: it opens out the sound, and spreads it around, gives a nice and tactical bass, topped with incisive treble when needed to give a sense of immediacy and clarity- a fantastic sound overall and super happy.

Not great at describing sound but sounds more open and enveloping that the A20, with more of a 3D sense to my ears; not really using my V202 with my ZMFs- though it drives they very well no doubt, the high impedance amps just make them sing in a different way that is hard to move away from.

Think the tubes I have are pretty good, but considering maybe getting the Pavane CV181-T MKii, and maybe the Electro Harmonix 6SN7 gold pins, just to see what different these seemingly well-regarded tubes might bring, if any...and then will call my audio journey to a halt for a while as I look to lose myself in the music for a bit... Until I get the urge for another ZMF when funds allow!

Thanks to all and enjoy the music!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 28
Just tracking back to this to thank all for their insights and recommendations; ended up getting the TA-26 second hand, with upgraded tubes (Kenrad VT231 and 6AS7G Svetlana Winged "C").

Extremely happy with the homographic sound that it gives, and have been listening to it almost exclusively with my Eikons and Mojo 2 in recent weeks; the sound is great across the board: it opens out the sound, and spreads it around, gives a nice and tactical bass, topped with incisive treble when needed to give a sense of immediacy and clarity- a fantastic sound overall and super happy.

Not great at describing sound but sounds more open and enveloping that the A20, with more of a 3D sense to my ears; not really using my V202 with my ZMFs- though it drives they very well no doubt, the high impedance amps just make them sing in a different way that is hard to move away from.

Think the tubes I have are pretty good, but considering maybe getting the Pavane CV181-T MKii, and maybe the Electro Harmonix 6SN7 gold pins, just to see what different these seemingly well-regarded tubes might bring, if any...and then will call my audio journey to a halt for a while as I look to lose myself in the music for a bit... Until I get the urge for another ZMF when funds allow!

Thanks to all and enjoy the music!
That's great to hear! I've heard the Apos Ray 6SN7 (select or reserve) sounds pretty great with this amp too, especially for new production tubes. Welcome to the wild wacky world of tube rolling!

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #28 of 28
That's great to hear! I've heard the Apos Ray 6SN7 (select or reserve) sounds pretty great with this amp too, especially for new production tubes. Welcome to the wild wacky world of tube rolling!
Ha-ha! Oh, I know- a new rabbit hole to drop into for a while...the Apos tubes look super interesting, which is what prompted my internet in the Psvane which some seem to say very similar to the Apos Reserve... Will do a more more research (and investment I am sure 😂)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back