Cetron/Tungsol 7236
Jan 20, 2007 at 6:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

George Chronis

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, where is everyone getting these? I searched all over the hundreds of links posted on this forum for tube sites. I can't find these tubes anywhere and you guys are getting them left and right and everyone says "can be very easily located on-line". I even searched ebay for 7236 and I get nothing back even for completed auctions. Am I supposed to be searching for something else? I want to order a WA3, but I want to make sure I can get this tube first.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 10
They aren't easy to find. I once saw an auction for around 50 of these and didn't jump on it. Since then I haven't seen too much on them and that was about a year and a half ago.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 10
Ok, at least now I don't feel so stupid. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Is a Sylvania going to be ok? That's the only one I could find.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 10
I haven't used them but often companies would buy from other companies and rebrand them. Sylvania made some nice tubes but the only real way to know is to try it. I would buy NOS and not used.

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iomusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this website provides 7236, http://www.vacuumtubes.net, I have made several purchases from the company, it's service is great, fast reply and shipping.

Great, thanks! I'm between the WA3 and WA6 now, after reading several threads. Decisions, decisions. I think I'm leaning toward the WA6, though I don't have any low imp. headphones (yet!).

Jan 21, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #8 of 10
I haven't heard the 6 but from recent reports it seems to do a fine job with all phones. I also like the idea of having each signal in a different tube though this doesn't always mean a whole lot since the Single Power uses a single driver tube to two power tubes. Sometimes a little crosstalk in a headphone amp can be a good thing. The tubes from the later 1940's and on for the driver/power stage of the 6 look interesting. I have a few of these and I think there would be a number of tubes that could be rolled, with reference to when made and manufacture.

Jan 21, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the 6 but from recent reports it seems to do a fine job with all phones. I also like the idea of having each signal in a different tube though this doesn't always mean a whole lot since the Single Power uses a single driver tube to two power tubes. Sometimes a little crosstalk in a headphone amp can be a good thing. The tubes from the later 1940's and on for the driver/power stage of the 6 look interesting. I have a few of these and I think there would be a number of tubes that could be rolled, with reference to when made and manufacture.

This is for you John ....
wink.gif

You know I have always wondered about the advantage of a single gain tube for each output tube too. I would think the extra tube could potentially add stereo seperation and more dynamics from the increased current drive. I have also been equally curious about transformer coupling. The Space Tech Lab SE-6AS7G headamp has both these features and when one appeared on audigon for a very reasonable price = steal .... I bought one. Again, this amp has a 6sn7 for each input/gain channel and a 6as7 for each output channel and the amp is transformer coupled.

What I found, besides the amp sounded very good, was that the second gain tube didnt make any spatial difference compared to my SP amps. I dont hear anymore seperation and definitely less speed and less dynamic punch even after using my tube adapters to switch to the faster and clearer sounding 6cg7 for gain .... possibly due to the transformer coupling. Interestingly, this amp sounds better with my high impedence headphones when I expected this amp to drive my grados best. The amp has a nice laid back and relaxed sound that mates bet with my senn 580/600's .... although the 120 ohm senn 595's sound excellent as well. Go figure ....
blink.gif

The original 6sn7's or the 7n7's I tried for gain were just to slow and very laid back; almost recessed. The addition of the 6cg7's really upped the dynamic performance and moved the image forward in my setup. I am hesitant to stray outside using electrically similar tubes with this amp as I dont know how the amp will react. But a brighter and faster gain like the 6cg7 tube makes this amp more to my liking. I also need two adapters and I dont have any extra ECC or 2c51 adapters.

original tube set ....

HPIM0050.jpg

HPIM0052.jpg

HPIM0051.jpg

6cg7/6as7g tube set ....

HPIM0323.jpg

HPIM0321.jpg

Jan 21, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 10
Looks like an interesting amp Earl. Are the opt's encased in Mu metal? It appears like it is and the cuts down hum to nothing. They are small. How many hours do you hve on the unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back