CES thoughts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 11, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #16 of 25
I did listen at a couple of other booths to some different bluetooth headphones. I am not putting the names down because I don't remember them and the Bluetooth was just bad.Yesterday with the AR bluetooth I was in love and would have had it's baby. I am sure there are other great bluetooth devices out there that are good, but some just are not.

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #17 of 25
Yesterday I listened to the 800s and was honestly not impressed at all; it happens.
Then today I hear the 820 and my god they are good. Everything clear and clean, bass smooth as a babies bottom, mids let me fall in love with Steely Dan again and highs that are accurate without getting painfull. I have never been a Huge Senns fan, but these could turn that tide. They are in the ranks of the LCD 4 and I know a couple folks that would just throw money at Senns to own them. I wish they were a little more sexy, but would trade that over sound every day of the week.

Can you comment on the soundstage compared to the 800S? We all want to know if Sennheiser found a way to make a closed back sound like it was open.

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #18 of 25
Next Stop was for the ADVANCED's current flagship headphone, the Alpha.
I really wish I had more time listening to these as they are different than my current planars. First off these are Sexy cans, If you walking down the street wearing them be ready for some smiles to be heading your way; maybe a couple winks from the opposite sex. I took a picture, but it is to dark to do them justice. They are at a 500 dollar price point and available now for those who need them. Now for the sound, Sound stage was great, you will be pleased with it. Mids are crisp and clear like you would hear in a concern hall, imaging is nice. Now for the reason some folks will jump on these, bass is really there, more bass then I like, but you folks that love the bass, please check these out and you can thank me later.

These cans have been heavily criticized for having piercing treble. Did it not bother you?

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #19 of 25
Can you comment on the soundstage compared to the 800S? We all want to know if Sennheiser found a way to make a closed back sound like it was open.
Sound stage on the 800s was average to me, My He-400 sounds more open to my ears. The 820 was so much better and put you in the concert hall. It almost gave me that 3D feel you get with the ElectroStatics. It just fills up the space around your head :).

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 25
Sound stage on the 800s was average to me, My He-400 sounds more open to my ears. The 820 was so much better and put you in the concert hall. It almost gave me that 3D feel you get with the ElectroStatics. It just fills up the space around your head :).

You are an enigma! I’ve never heard anyone describe the soundstage of the 800S as average, ever! Lol!

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #21 of 25
These cans have been heavily criticized for having piercing treble. Did it not bother you?

Not at all, I was listening to Leave the light on by Beth Hart and it was good. Could just be because I am in my 50s :). It never bothered me with the HE-350s (but had Brainwazs on them) as it did some folks. Plus they did not have a sound booth so I was out in the open in a busy convention center. That is the reason I started with the "I wish I had more time" as one song does not tell the whole story :).

Jan 11, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #22 of 25
You are an enigma! I’ve never heard anyone describe the soundstage of the 800S as average, ever! Lol!

Just writing what I heard on their system for one song. For everything I listened to I would have loved to have more time with each headphone. Plus I have been listening to some amazing stuff like the Shangra-La :) and LCD 4 which I fell in love with. I was hoping Stax would be here, but no such luck.

Jan 11, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 25
Just writing what I heard on their system for one song. For everything I listened to I would have loved to have more time with each headphone. Plus I have been listening to some amazing stuff like the Shangra-La :) and LCD 4 which I fell in love with. I was hoping Stax would be here, but no such luck.

We appreciate your impressions! Keep it coming!

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #24 of 25
Had a second listen to the Alpha just to see if the highs were an issue. Put on the blues traveler and again the highs were good.

Also went back to the Echo box booth with my HE-4xx to see how the player would push planars. It did a great job. My only issue is the 600.00 price point, and that is just because I cannot afford it.

So now sitting at the airport with my Superlux 668B plugged into a walnut V2. Is it as good as some of the cans I listened to, not at all. But, I think we all got into headphones for the love of music and right now The Who is a great way to start the morning

Jan 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 25
Time for another disclaimer, I am a Hifiman fan boy, so this review will show bias...

Shangli-La Jr.. If the Shangri-La and Audeze LCD 4 had a love child it would be the jr. It is all the electrostatic goodness with almost insane sound and a sexy set up for 8000.00. So take everything I have ever said about the the LCD 4 and kick it up a notch. Once again, for the money I don't know if you can find anything better since it is the Phones and the Amp.

I should like to point out that the Stax SR-007 Mk II and Blue Hawaii SE stat amp list for $7899, and you can find the 007 for less on eBay. I would be willing to bet that the BHSE is a better designed and built amp than the Jr, and that the SR007 is likely better built than the Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back