CES DAP report. AK, HM901s and Calyx etc.
Jan 9, 2015 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

goodvibes

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I was are CES for other things but decided to case out the top dogs that displayed. I didn't give extended listens to any of these so take any comment with a grain. What was there for a listen were the AKs, the new HM901s and the Calyx M. All were quite nice. Remember that unless it's a fanboy piece, descriptions generally involve how things may vary from the reviewers perspective of right so may appear overly critical. Lets go Calyx 1st. Lots of detail but a touch etched or hard sounding for my taste. Not ringy and it connected all the dots but just a character that wasn't for me. Nice focus, separation and UI. No isue what so ever with the magnetic V control. I won't discuss depth and such because it can as easily be an artifact with IEMs and this many variables. Separation and focus with sufficient spacing is all that concerns me.

The AKs. I don't get why it's said these are very close because for me there are clear qualitative steps from top to bottom even though one can tell they are siblings. The 100II is a little threadbare. Detailed but doesn't really fill the note. I'd still pick it over the Calyx simply because the Calyx would be hard for me to stay with for a few hours. What you choose may depend on files and preference. The 120II connects all the dots, and reaches a bit further in. I'd call it a step up from the sub $1k flavors I've heard where the 100II may or my not be depending on your own personal preferences and needs. Of course the finish and use of AKs is fab as well and help make them more desirable as well. I would say these 2 aren't as much better than the old 120 and 100mk2 as they are different. I've owned both the old versions and wouldn't move to the new models. That said, they'd definitely be competing for my dollars and would take longer listens to choose. The AK 240 is a clear upgrade with more flow, weight and scale. Best I heard at the show directly from it's phone out which brings me to the HM901s. Again these are not huge differences but things I picked up on in a short listen with available files but I was familiar with at least one on all the players. The AKs all had the same libraries between them so easy to compare with the Angie and Layla on hand.

The HM901s is sort of the odd bird here and I think that comment relates to the stock amp board. It sounded a bit mid forward which stopped it from sounding as fast or textural as it might have. Don't get me wrong, it was great but I think there's more available with a board swap for a couple of reasons. That it has more color and better bass character than I usually hear form Sabres. 2nd is that I heard a second unit's pre out into an amp and a to be announced planar dynamic that was jaw droppingly good. I suspect with the board that meets an individual's flavor requirements, it will be a sonic pinnacle for portable sound. Still needs to be done and won't matter to me because it's still bigger than I'll ever use on the go. As an example, I walked around the show that day with an ak100mk2 and jh13s inside a small bag completely in my back jeans pocket. No, I didn't compare my old AK directly, I wanted to hear the hm901s with a known earphone because it sounded as I described with their own top IEM. The jh13 simply confirmed it. JH was single ended and Hifiman iem was balanced.

That brings me back to the new unnamed and unpriced Hifiman planar dynamic. Driven from a 901s and an amp I didn't catch the name of, it was startling and better than I remember Audeze. It was good Stax good and not artificially ethereal like Stax can sometimes sound. It's part of what makes me think the 901s is also a killer device once dialed into your needs. Between the always sound/works great AK240 and the tweakier but potentially best hm901, DAPs things are looking really good. Judging from my similar reaction with both my JH13 and the balanced Hifiman (I think) 600, that $200 iem is probably VG as well. One more thing. Watch out for the JHA Angie.
smile.gif
 I didn't diddle the bass pots but I really liked it. Smooth dynamic clarity and less warm (in a way I prefer) than the Layla as it was set up. Of course, it may just be how the pots were set.

Again, these are impressions from quick listens. Don't shoot the messenger. I readily admit these sort of off the cuff comments have plenty of room for error.

Jan 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 4
How would you say the 901s sounds in comparison to 901?

Jan 10, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 4
I didn't compare and never had an extended listen to a 901. My hearing memory is pretty good as my brain sort of compartmentalizes sound. I think it has the possibility of being a clear upgrade in color and solidity with the right amp card. You don't hear any of the less desirable aspects of the Sabre sig. Not sure I preferred it with it's stock board. If your IEMs are slightly V shaped, it might be a home run as is. Basically, I think it will take someone with both and few cards to answer this definitively but I suspect the 901s will find a very favorable config.

Jan 10, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back