Cerwin Vega Floor Standing Speakers... Better Quality for the Money?
Feb 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

thapchild

Head-Fier
About 10 years ago I picked up two Cerwin Vega LS-12 Floor Speakers.  I only use them once every month or two, but every now and then I D.J. a house party, or some other activity that's not Insanely large.  Typically these two speakers get the job done.  Las weekend I was able to fill a 1200 sq foot room, and had it loud enough people had to raise their voices to talk.

I'm interested in picking up two more floor speakers, though the LS series is no longer offered they have newer lines, and I was looking at getting a pair of VE-15.

I haven't sampled many Floor Speakers, and My Cerwin Vega have decent bass, which is usually what gets the party going.  (and I'm a bass head).  Are there any brands that you think would surpass the sound quality for the money?  Bass being a large factor in the decision, I'd sacrifice a very very slight amount of bass for far superior highs and mids.

Any suggestions on floor speakers to look at in the $300-$400 range? (per speaker).

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 6
If your main goal for these speakers is to DJ, you should probably consult with pro audio forums. Pro audio speakers may be the best choice for what you are trying to achieve.

Feb 22, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I notice the VE-15s you are looking at are from Cerwin-Vega's home audio line. If you're looking for 15" woofers in home audio speakers, they might not be a bad choice. They seem to be a manufacturer with a lot of experience with 15" speakers. Of course, Cerwin-Vega also makes pro PA speakers if you're looking for a PA set-up.

When I was playing in bands, we had some Cerwin-Vega PA speakers with 15" woofers, although I have no idea what model. Those things were tanks and took an incredible amount of abuse and just kept on rockin'. I had good luck with their PA speakers, so if I was looking for 15" woofers, that would be a brand I would definitely consider. I think they have a reputation of being loud and rugged and having great bass for the money, which sounds like it might be what you're looking for.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #5 of 6
vega all the way! my dad had a home set for many years that i had the chance to abuse many times. its one thing to sound good and rock the house but, to do it for 10+yrs.... writes my opinion in stone.

im also a fan of older equipment considering 70%of my system is from 75-79.
i too was looking at some vega floor standing and think you picked a good model.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 6
if you are looking to fill larger rooms, you will need to move to pro audio. they are designed for filling large spaces, and use horn loaded tweeters and such. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back