Cerafine vs. Muse vs. Panasonic FC?
Sep 27, 2004 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sanaka

100+ Head-Fier
What are folks opinions/impressions based on experience?

The Panasonics are available from DigiKey, which often helps by saving an extra shipping charge from somewhere else. But Muse actually cost around the same, even a little less. Cerafine seem to be around 3 or 4 times a$ much, but this is not wallet crushing, if the benefits are real. I ask because Muse and Cerafine seem to have a more boutique hi-end reputation compared to Pana FC.
Thanks!

Peace,
Sanaka

Sep 27, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 16
I never noticed differences in sound from any of the cap's (generic or premium) I used. What is one supposed to look for when comparing the sound of capacitors? PPA, PIMETA, META42, Cmoy, A42 etc, I couldn't tell any difference in sound other than aesthetics. I'm sure capacitors used in input/output coupling is a different story.

Sep 27, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 16
I do feel that the Cerafines I used sounded better than the nichicon + Panasonic FC combination within the PPA. My girlfriend found the bass tighter without knowing that I had changed anything. She tends to be brutally honest with the changes I make. For example she strongly prefers the OPA627 to the OPA637 citing the OPA637 as having a midrange that's too coloured. The scary fact is she double-blinded them 5 out of 5 times
eek.gif
Scarier still she does not consider her self an audiophile
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

The scary fact is she double-blinded them 5 out of 5 times Scarier still she does not consider her self an audiophile

Yoiks!
eek.gif
Maybe she hasn't blasted her eardrums to mush like us "'philes"
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, it sounds like it's time to propose Trevor!
blink.gif

Does she have an opinion on FC versus MuseKZ?
biggrin.gif

Peace,
Sanaka

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 16
I think dokebi's talking about the appearance of the capacitors. You've gotta admit, a string of 8 bright red and gold Cerafines in a PPA is eye-catching.

Sep 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #8 of 16
thats why i love the new panasonic FM's
smily_headphones1.gif

cheaper than the FC's and they are black with gold markings and red text, mmm mmm good
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 16
How about Rubycon ZA/ZL?

I pulled some of these off an old motherboard. They're 'Ultra Low Impedance' and have very high ripple current. So sayeth the farnell catalogue. Not much more expensive than Panasonic FCs either.

Also there's this. What does anyone make of it?

Sep 28, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Also there's this. What does anyone make of it?

Those might be some fine caps. But it's hard to swallow the claims of any place that also sells a $6800 volume control that needs separate knobs for L/R and needs the non-standard equipment, $485 wooden knobs (2 of them mind you!) to make the sound "...much more open and free flowing." I get the feeling what they really care about is an open and free flowing wallet...

Peace,
Sanaka

Oct 25, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #12 of 16
From the diyAudio discussion board here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pukka
Panasonic FCs are really good. I had a couple of those for a tube headphone amp output coupling and decided to try a couple of those "exotic" caps, Elna Cerafines to be exact.

First my ears, then my scope confirmed it, elnas behaved worse than FCs. So I went back to FCs...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Dieckmann
I think they sound a lot better than the Elna Cerafines. I really don't like the sound of the Cerafines at all, and can't understand why people use them other than Elna says they were designed specificly for audio. Designer lable yuppie caps maybe? Anybody want to go in on a group buy of Gucci capacitors and Prada resistors?
cool.gif

And from here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocko Homo
FCs are better than Cerafines. A lot of us think that they aren't so hot.

Don't like any of the "Kahn Brothers" caps either, although there may be a few decent ones.

Disappointing to hear that the Cerafines aren't all that great.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back