Centrance's MixerFace
Jan 11, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 22
  A new mobile DAC *and* recorder, with its own battery, and designed to work not only with Windows and OSX, but also with iOS and Android.

At the current price, it's worth it just as a DAC!

https://www.facebook.com/cymbacavum/posts/10102572888906809?stream_ref=10
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mixerface-the-mobile-recording-interface-for-smartphones-and-tablets/x/926092
http://centrance.com/products/mixerface/

Interesting!  Thanks!

Just one thing I need to know before I buy, if the TRS (1/4") input bypass the Mic Pres or not.
I just couldn't find the information anywhere...
Some company bypass the Mic Pres for TRS input, some don't.

Jan 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 22
What happens is we reduce the gain for line inputs and end up buffering them for correct impedance matching. This ensures compatibility with the widest array of input sources and guarantees true pro quality. Very few companies actually give you true bypass and honestly, it's not necessary. In MixerFace, both line and mic inputs are routed to the ADC with minimum noise and distortion, so no worries. You will love the sound quality of recording and playback.

Jan 12, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 22
Michael, I'm already in for a MixerFace -- I've got a mk1 MOTU Traveller but am really looking forward to having a 2-input interface for iOS devices that is truly portable.

I also have a HiFi-M8 and love it!

My question is in regards to the headphone amplifier section of the MixerFace.  How different is it from the M8?  The MixerFace does not have the headphone gain switch of the M8, correct?  Any comments on the design that you can share in relation to your existing products? 

Jan 12, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 22
What happens is we reduce the gain for line inputs and end up buffering them for correct impedance matching. This ensures compatibility with the widest array of input sources and guarantees true pro quality. Very few companies actually give you true bypass and honestly, it's not necessary. In MixerFace, both line and mic inputs are routed to the ADC with minimum noise and distortion, so no worries. You will love the sound quality of recording and playback.

Noted, thanks Michael!

Since it is portable with only 2 inputs, I imagine it would be used a lot for stereo recording.  Will the gain knobs have clicks?  Something like PreSonus gain knob that if not mistaken has around 40 clicks.  The reason to have clicks is to easily matches the gain between the left and right inputs for stereo recording.

One more thing, I have binaural mics (ear worn type) with stereo mini / 3.5 mm jack, that only compatible with max of 12 volts phantom power.  It would be great if MixerFace could have a 3.5 mm stereo mic input socket with lower phantom power voltage 
etysmile.gif

So we can record high quality 24 / 192 binaural recording with MixerFace 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 22
Please give me the model of the mic, so we can look it up. We may be able to adjust phantom to 12 on demand. Please email me info at CEntrance dor com for more details

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 22
  It doesn't mention anywhere that this is a DAC - just an ADC... Michael you may want to clarify the differences.

I suppose Michael can provide a definitive answer, but under "Features and Specs" on indiegogo, this is listed:

*  24-bit / 192kHz A/D and D/A converters. We use the same chips found in studio recording interfaces.

This means there is a DAC in it.  I suppose the headphone out could be purely analog off of the mixing stage, but then I am not sure what the DAC would be doing there.   Other audio interfaces designed for iDevices (e.g. Apogee One) have both A/D and D/A converters in them, and are advertised as headphone interfaces, too.  I don't know of any that have phantom power for mics and are small, though. 

Jan 12, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 22
I'm sure the headphones are there to monitor, but the input isn't digital FROM iOS or USB, it's from analog to iOS/USB.

At the very least I think we need to be very careful not to call it a DAC+Recorder worth the cost just as a Dac... We could be misleading folks into backing the IndieGogo and not getting what they think they will.

I find it hard to believe that if it does do iDevice + android + desktop DAC that it isn't called out directly

You're right, we'll have to wait for Michael.

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #11 of 22
Please give me the model of the mic, so we can look it up. We may be able to adjust phantom to 12 on demand. Please email me info at CEntrance dor com for more details

Hi Michael, I use this binaural mics: 
MS-TFB-2 - Master Series by Sound Professionals
Currently I use Zoom H2n as the recorder.

Anyway, this is just an idea of using MixerFace to record binaural recording, to broaden the applicability of the device.
If the prototype is done, just ignore the idea of 12V phantom power and 3.5 mm stereo mic socket 
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 22
I'm sure the headphones are there to monitor, but the input isn't digital FROM iOS or USB, it's from analog to iOS/USB.

At the very least I think we need to be very careful not to call it a DAC+Recorder worth the cost just as a Dac... We could be misleading folks into backing the IndieGogo and not getting what they think they will.

I find it hard to believe that if it does do iDevice + android + desktop DAC that it isn't called out directly

You're right, we'll have to wait for Michael.

I guess Michael can weigh in on this, but in the meantime, looking at the MicPort Pro also by CEntrance, I think I can decode what the "dry/wet" mixing knob (with the A and D markings on it) is on the MixerFace is for.  It controls how much of the live audio ("dry") is mixed in with the played-back audio ("wet") coming from the digital recording device through USB.    I'm guessing that "A" means analog and "D" means digital, so if the knob is all the way over to the "D" side, there's no signal coming from the mic inputs, and you are listening to audio from the digital device alone through the headphone monitor.   Since that audio can only be carried through USB digitally, that means a D-to-A is in play.

This is based on how the MicPort Pro is described to be used.   The MixerFace looks to have many more features (stereo in, obviously, but also battery-powered and iDevice compatible).  Again, just some sleuthing based on similar functionality from a related device.  Michael knows for sure. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 22

Hi Michael, I use this binaural mics: 
MS-TFB-2 - Master Series by Sound Professionals
Currently I use Zoom H2n as the recorder.

Anyway, this is just an idea of using MixerFace to record binaural recording, to broaden the applicability of the device.
If the prototype is done, just ignore the idea of 12V phantom power and 3.5 mm stereo mic socket 
wink_face.gif

I am answering on behalf of Michael.

Sound Professionals' SP-XLRM-MINI-2-PHANTOM will allow you to use MixerFace's 48V and XLR input.  The same website had other adapter cables, but it seems this adapter does both connector and 48V conversions.  It is bit pricey, but it gets the job done concisely and compactly.

Is this helpful?

David

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 22
I also would be interested in using this unit for my binaural recordings. I use the Core Sounds Binaural microphones and a Zoom H2 so the 1/8 inch 12v input would really entice me to be interested in this unit as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back