Centrance Mini-M8
Feb 15, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #136 of 296
I'm looking forward to your opinions ExpatinJapan. However, I am curious to know why you consider yourself a tone deaf hobbyist. Are you deaf or are you at the stage of the game where you think your ears are the weak point in the chain?

I have near perfect hearing.

....But I can`t play an instrument, I am not trained as an engineer etc...... I am a simple music lover and hobbyist of gear.

Over time I have developed tastes and have been fortunate to live in Japan where I can sample lots of gear easily and attend shows.

But at the end of the day I am a simple hobbyist, I like people to be aware of that when they are reading my opinions :)

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #137 of 296
That's the first time I've seen the power adapter. It's huge! There was a rumor that the Hifi M8 could be charged through the USB cord. I wonder if we could do the same for the mini-m8.

I wish it was easy to get a converter from 4 pin balanced to RSA. Cheapest that I have seen is $99.

you could do it, but for the Hifi-m8 it wasnt recommended and super slow.

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #138 of 296
I have near perfect hearing.

....But I can`t play an instrument, I am not trained as an engineer etc...... I am a simple music lover and hobbyist of gear.

Over time I have developed tastes and have been fortunate to live in Japan where I can sample lots of gear easily and attend shows.

But at the end of the day I am a simple hobbyist, I like people to be aware of that when they are reading my opinions :)

What do you think of the sound then?

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #139 of 296
Please keep in mind this was after a short period of listening.

More impressions after a few days and decent hours of listening.

Mini-M8

Initial out of the box impressions. Further detailed impressions to follow at a later date.

Mini-M8 – ipod touch 5G – Flacplayer app – Venturecraft  7N lightning cable – Dita The Truth IEMs and ATH-ESW11.

Nice packaging, a step up from the early Hifi-M8 packaging (I don't know the current packaging).
Inside is the standard set of the unit (Mini-M8), charger, two rubber bands, a USB-A to USB-B cable and a simple cloth bag for transporting the Mini-M8.
No LODs or other connector cables included, the thinking I am guessing is that many people who buy such devices such as the Mini-M8 usually have their own cables etc.

The Sound.
Initial sound quality impressions are good, clear, more smooth than the Hifi-M8.
Certainly I notice that there is less power than the Hifi-M8, the sound seems less `big` and more laidback.

I understand that the output impedance is 1ohm on the Mini-M8, so I set the Hifi-M8 switch to 1ohm.

Gain (I am not sure how to compare the Mini-M8 with the Hifi-M8 and wonder what gain settings would be best).

Step one- is adequate but not loud enough for me. No hiss at full volume.
Step two – Good sound. Lacks the beefy ness of the Hifi-M8 still (The Mini-M8 having a less powerful amp). At the extreme end of the volume pot, well PAST listenable levels there is a SLIGHT hiss.
Step three – Good , I like it set at three. I have been conditioned in the past,  perhaps erroneously that using the lower gain of a device is best (I prefer gain two on the Hifi-M8 for my ATH-ESW11). Also at the extreme end of the volume pot well PAST listenable levels there is a SLIGHT hiss.

Note: At my regular listening level (Quite, quite  loud) there is no hiss. Only when one turns it up well past acceptable levels. Each person has their own threshold for volume of course and I checked this out quite thoroughly.

The smoothness can maybe be put down to a refinement in research, experience and design since the earlier Hifi-M8 was released by Centrance. The Mini-M8  certainly has a blacker background than the Hifi-M8 (unless you turn the volume pot to unlistenable levels, and I like a lot of volume, I usually use my device on my daily train commute).

This is a short initial out of the box set of impressions. They are surface and quite superficial. I look forward to sharing my further insights after a few days of commuting, then at a week, a month and so on as the device and my ears burn in somewhat.

I will also take the Mini-M8 to stores around Tokyo and demo various headphones and IEMs with it.
cleardot.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #140 of 296
Mini-M8 is a portable audiophile DAC with a balanced headphone amplifier, 24/192kHz audio bandwidth, super-low THD, four digital inputs, DSD and asynchronous USB. Inputs include iPhone/iPad, USB, optical and coaxial SPDIF.

I would like to try out the Mini-M8 with other devices also.

Can anyone recommend cables?
What DAPs?

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #143 of 296
Day 2.

Using Dita-The Truth IEMs.

-Gain 1 comfortable at full volume.
-Ran to the train with it in my jacket pocket for 20 meters or so, no issues.
-Gain 2 sounds better to me, more bass.

Later that day.....

-Mini-M8 seems to be more even now. Whether I am adjusting to it, or the device is breaking in, I don`t know.
-I`ve just started to enjoy it now (Its around the four hour mark).

Listening volume I prefer.
-I need 4 turns on Gain 1 (max).
-2.5 - 3 turns on Gain 2.
-2 - 2.3 turns on Gain 3.

Starting to nod my head to the music now.
-More bass present, more background underlying melody audible after 4-5 hours use. More musical, more enjoyment.
-Seems more spatial/ getting more spacious sound.

letting the unit play through some Apple earbuds now to get a few more hours on it before tomorrow

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #144 of 296
Based on the latest reviews, I went ahead and ordered one Mini M8 as part of the Massdrop campaign to go with the 1964Ears A12 I am expecting later this month. Need to look into converting some of my FLAC files to ALAC or find a good FLAC player for iPhone 6.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #145 of 296
Based on the latest reviews, I went ahead and ordered one Mini M8 as part of the Massdrop campaign to go with the 1964Ears A12 I am expecting later this month. Need to look into converting some of my FLAC files to ALAC or find a good FLAC player for iPhone 6.

I use Flacplayer app. I have tried most of the popular others and have ended up preferring it.

Give the Mini-M8 4-10 hours to open up.

Feb 23, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #149 of 296
I ordered one as well, but decided I need the cash more than I need this, so it'll be up for sale to one of you lucky folks as soon as I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back