Centrance Mini-M8
Feb 6, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #107 of 296
It is early days and we haven't really heard a wide range of impressions as of yet. So its too soon to draw any definite conclusions.

When a new product is released I like to hear in detail about what files, source, cables, headphones etc are being used when a user is sharing impressions or writing a review.

I look forward to receiving my Mini-M8 in the near future and sharing my impressions with you all.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #111 of 296
  With the LCD-X, there was no contest between the DACmini and the mini-M8.  I don't think that the mini-M8 (mid and high gain) has the drive to do justice to these headphones.  Volume levels were fine but I felt as underwhelmed with the mini-M8 as I do with the iPhone 6 when it come to handling the LCD-X.

Massdrop:

"capable of driving headphones like the LCD-X and XC without breaking a sweat"

lol, now I know to research things myself before blindly taking faith in massdrop's descriptions. I really wanted to get these for $400 but like everyone else, hiss is an unfortunate deal breaker for me.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #112 of 296
Centrance mentioned that it was louder on the balanced connection so that might help with the LCD-X. I'm not certain I want to get a balanced cable just for that though.

Massdrop also does not have a return policy. $399 is a good price though.

Anyone else think it is insane how hard they are pushing the Skyn? It looks like it has incredible stats for something at half the price. I don't think its the hiss that is holding back the mini-m8. The skyn might be a real game changer.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #113 of 296
The trouble with the Mini-M8 is that there hasnt been enough reviews or impressions as of yet.

One or two people have shared their impressions of the Mini-M8 and some have reported hiss, this is far from conclusive.
Usually the first impressions/reviews are what people remember - whether on not they are accurate or true for most of the users.

We havent enough information of what kind of source they were using, their files, the headphones etc.

When I tried it at an audio show I had no problems with it. I am reserving my final thoughts for when it actually in my hands.
I will try it with different players, different cables, different types of music files, I will use my different headphones and also take it to a store where I can sample 100s of in ears If needed. I will also test at one day, one week, one month to see If there are any changes.

If its a dud or there are any issues I will share them, regardless of my love for Centrance products.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

As for the Skyn, as a company Centrance do have to promote their product. Although in this instance I think its more a case of Centrance  gathering information from users in the same way they did with their Hifi-M8 (for better or worse, I like to think of the Mini-M8 as the final refined product of the Hifi-M8) to improve the product to better serve user wants and needs.

There are a few flag wavers and kool aid drinkers on the Skyn thread, which isnt Centrances fault.

Mini-M8 didnt get enough promotion I think, perhaps its the current saturation of the portable dac/amp market. Although its a great all in one device with many inputs.

Feb 12, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #114 of 296
Someone reported hiss with the SE846. You're right that the sample size of reviews aren't enough to make a deductive conclusion, but I can't drop $400 to find out myself. I'm currently checking out the RSA Intruder now

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #115 of 296
I just took the risk and dropped $400.  Will report back on any issues or hiss.  That said, I only have a pair of inefficient IEMs (RE-262) so I don't expect to hear much hiss from them anyway.  Hard for me to justify spending $700 for the Intruder if this one works well.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #117 of 296
  I just took the risk and dropped $400.  Will report back on any issues or hiss.  That said, I only have a pair of inefficient IEMs (RE-262) so I don't expect to hear much hiss from them anyway.  Hard for me to justify spending $700 for the Intruder if this one works well.

I think the Mini M8 is well worth $400, and I prefer it's more open soundstage compared to the various RSA amps I have tried/owned (the SR71B being the closest to the Intruder, but it has no DAC). The RSA amps I have tried sounded a bit too warm and smoothed over for my liking. The hiss level of the Mini M8 with my iems is very low compared to that of the original Hifi M8. With my Noble K10, I don't notice any hiss. With the Noble N5, there is a low level of hiss, but for the most part I don't notice it while music is playing, except for during silent passages.

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #118 of 296
SD, did you notice any hiss with the SR71B?

My main attraction to the RSA Intruder is that it can drive flagship cans as well, and I plan to buy the LCD-2 in the future

Feb 13, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #119 of 296
I didn't notice any hiss with the SR71B, but I didn't like its darker signature, at least when paired with my Noble K10 ciem. The amp seemed to lack a bit of treble energy, and bass somehow seemed less refined. The K10 can sound quite open and airy with the right recordings, and the RSA amp seemed to rob the K10 a bit. Results may be different with different iems and headphones, of course.

I hope my comments earlier in this thread about having low levels of hiss with the Mini M8 (with one pair of iems, the Noble N5) is leading folks to look at other options. That would be making a mountain out of a molehill. I think it is a great amp, capable of letting my K10s really shine. As I mostly use my Mini-M8 with my ciems, I can't comment much on how well it drives other headphones.

Feb 13, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #120 of 296
Did you use the blanced input on the SR71B with your iems?

And hiss at low levels is what makes me dislike the Shozy Alien DAP. I feel like a good amount of musicianship is displayed at the low dynamic levels (it's easy to make most things sound good/fun/exciting when they're loud) and having a hiss obviously takes away from that musical experience greatly. I can see why it isn't a big deal for most people, but it is for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back