Centrance Mini-M8
Nov 2, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #77 of 296
Hey, I want to tell you that, but I cannot tell you that
wink.gif

But it will be shipping next week. And that's really good news.

I'll be checking my email for a tracking number starting on Monday...

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #80 of 296
many feel hugo chord would  be the best amp with roxanne and ak 240 but its just too expensive, 

i was hoping this would do the job ??

thank u !

Mgoodman can't tell you, but I'll take a guess here and say the Mini M8 will sound wonderful in that setup. I'll be using mine with the AK100 II and Noble K10 ciems. The Hugo is nice, but I'm not convinced the performance merits it's steep price ( and yes, I have tried it, albeit briefly).

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #81 of 296
I have head the Chord Hugo a half dozen times and found the amp to be a weak link. The DAC is better but there is a lot of good competition for DAC stages at this and lower price ranges.

I found the AK240 to be a competent package with a beautiful box and good software. Sound was pretty good but benefited from an amp.

These two boxes include a premium for industrial design.

For sonics, the HM901 is significantly better than either. No comparison. That said the box and the software are clunky. Maybe the new version will be smoother.

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #82 of 296
Oh...I heard the mini m8 in Tokyo in Ocober with the JVC FX 850. I thought the package was excellent.

This is a very well thought out design and you can see my impressions in that thread.

Nov 4, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #84 of 296
This is an amazing DAC/Amp package Michael, I enjoyed my trial run with the Mini-M8 in Tokyo. I think you're being modest when you say it is powered for IEMs, it easily drove my modded ATH-ES10...not that they are particularly power hungry, but the 53mm drivers are among the largest of any portable HP in existence. I didn't get the volume past 1/3-ish, and if I recall correctly that was on the low gain setting. Anyways, I would wager that the Mini-M8 can drive all but the most thirsty cans. The multiple connectivity options, compatibility with iPhone, etc., are huge selling points. After listening to ~20 portable DAC/amps at the show I can definitely say this one is a great value, I heard nothing but great resolution across the frequency spectrum. I'm saving to buy one...

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #87 of 296
I received my Mini-M8 today! It is still charging up, but I tried it out briefly with my Noble K10 ciem and Audeze LCD-XC, using AK 100 II as the source (optical out). At first listen, the Mini-M8 does sound very similar to it's bigger M8 brother. It can easily drive both the ciem and the XC on low gain. Hiss is very low with the K10 with no music playing, and I don't notice it all all while playing music. As I expected, bass is meatier and has more impact when using the balanced output, compared to single-ended output.

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #90 of 296
agreed.  if there was no hiss i would strongly lean toward selling my theorem 720 and getting one of these.  but not a chance if there's hiss with my CIEMs.

I would thought that the use of toslink (instead of coax or usb would have been the quietest mode possible. Ak100ii itself has a silent background when used with iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back