Centrance Mini-M8
Jul 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #17 of 296
Shall it drive AlphaDog? The hp requires power...

From the Centrance updated website:
`Mini-M8 is ideally suited for driving IEM headphones. Our flagship HiFi-M8 continues to be our most powerful amp -- it drives the most challenging over-head cans in the world. But if you prefer IEM listening, you don't need all that power -- and then Mini-M8 is for you!`

:wink:

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #18 of 296
I think mini-m8 would drive alpha dogs well, especially in the balanced configuration. We will try again next weekend in Washington at the captial audiofest if they are there and I will report.

Jul 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 296
I'm sure mgoodman will chime in again, but no, I don't believe he means to imply there will be a mod available. The mini M8 is a lot less powerful than the original; generally, less powerful amps will have a lower noise floor.

To mgoodman: Could you tell use what headphone and iem models were used to test the mini? I do sometimes use my M8 with my ciems, but I barely get any play with the volume pot, and there is definitely some background hiss.
We tried our standard assortment of headphones and feel that noise floor is low enough to be unnoticeable, even with balanced armature phones. Remember, there is a 3-position gain switch that may help dial in the level just right. On the left, at the lowest gain setting, the noise is lowest of all.

Jul 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #20 of 296
We tried our standard assortment of headphones and feel that noise floor is low enough to be unnoticeable, even with balanced armature phones. Remember, there is a 3-position gain switch that may help dial in the level just right. On the left, at the lowest gain setting, the noise is lowest of all.

Thank you for your input. I am looking forward to trying it out with my ciems (already placed my order!)

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #21 of 296
Volume done in the digital domain or analog?
- Digital this time. Perfect stereo tracking, never a scratching noise in the pot, long life.

What cables, case, separator etc will be included?
- Have not made final decisions yet. Power supply for sure

Gain selections, output impedance, power output?
- Specs coming soon.

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #22 of 296
Last question...

How is input selection handled?  Is it that while the toslink/coax input is connected it overrides everything else and the usb switch controls whether it is a PC or iDevice?  Or does the switch's middle position double as the toslink/coax selection?

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 296
Would the mini m8 work with iDevices via the CCK without using a powered USB hub (for DSD and Hi-res PCM)?

Jul 25, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #27 of 296
Some photos which I think are from Capital Audiofest.

Mini-M8 with the AK100 (?)

Hifi-M8 and Mini-M8.

Quite a size difference, more pocketable.

Mini-M8 and AK240.

Mini-M8 and Hifiman 901.

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #28 of 296
Last question...

How is input selection handled?  Is it that while the toslink/coax input is connected it overrides everything else and the usb switch controls whether it is a PC or iDevice?  Or does the switch's middle position double as the toslink/coax selection?
Exactly as you said above. When you plug in the 3.5mm jack, USB and iPhone get disconnected and Mini-M8 listens to the SPDIF input. It auto-selects coax or optical.

The unit needs to be ON, which means that the source/power switch on the back panel need to be in either the left or right position. In the middle position the unit is OFF and neither input works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back