CEntrance DACport HD
Aug 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #31 of 277

Not entirely useless. I routinely record or upconvert material at/to 192khz for pitch and time manipulation, as the results are better (then down convert back to 48khz)
I'm seriously considering this little box for my laptop editing rig! :)

Aug 19, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 277
Shouldn't be long now...some time next month, right?

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #33 of 277
  Shouldn't be long now...some time next month, right?

Seems like very early next month 
biggrin.gif

I had hoped to have these for a headphone meet at the end of this month, but there are so many other ways to spend one's money in this hobby 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #34 of 277
Did anyone opt for the early shipping option, next week? I am itching to receive this, but opted to wait for the sleeve - a couple more weeks.
Of course when I look up sleeve on Wikipedia, I get a picture of Mabel Love and her bicycle:

I hope the sleeve looks a little better than Mabel's 
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #35 of 277
I opted for the commercial packaging, too. I'll be on vacation on the 15th, so there's no point in having it shipped early. I'm really stoked to get this thing.

Sep 8, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #37 of 277
  Same here, opted to wait for final packaging - won't have time until late September to enjoy it anyhow.  What's a couple more weeks after three months.

A tale of two crowdfunding campaigns: Geek Wave and Centrance DACport HD. Centrance ran theirs to perfection, but there was no crowd designing involved. Still feels pretty good.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #38 of 277
I'm still holding onto my very high hopes for this. I've heard the Geek Out V2, and it's a good balanced implementation of the Sabre DAC. It also has great volume control, with the two gain settings. I've also heard in the Apogee Groove. When it works, it does well. But on my low impedance headphones, the sound turns to mush. And the DAC is clearly not as detailed as the Geek Out or a couple of the other USB DAC/AMP that I've heard.

There is definitely a market for the CEntrance if it can tick all the boxes.

Sep 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #40 of 277
I don't know how they do it, either, but I'm sure they are not lying about this. Centrance is a reputable company with a great reputation

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #41 of 277
Most USB ports can support current of 500mA, that's about 2.5W of power, much more than most headphones require.  That does not necessarily mean that USB is a good power source, so the challenge is usually around filtering it to the point where current and voltage fluctuations and other PC component interference does not impact the sound of the device.
Apple's Lightning host mode power specification is much more restrictive, I wonder if this new DACport HD will be able to conform to Apple CCK requirements, or if it will require a "buffer" USB hub, like most of its competitors.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #42 of 277
I don't know how they do it, either, but I'm sure they are not lying about this. Centrance is a reputable company with a great reputation

Most USB ports can support current of 500mA, that's about 2.5W of power, much more than most headphones require.  That does not necessarily mean that USB is a good power source, so the challenge is usually around filtering it to the point where current and voltage fluctuations and other PC component interference does not impact the sound of the device.
Apple's Lightning host mode power specification is much more restrictive, I wonder if this new DACport HD will be able to conform to Apple CCK requirements, or if it will require a "buffer" USB hub, like most of its competitors.

I agree 100%.

I'm still relatively new. Yes, I did start listening to headphones about 10 years ago, but I did not like much of what I heard then. I only jumped back in last year, and I've been to 1.5 shows and 1.5 meets (the third was a show/meet
biggrin.gif
). I am keeping only one of my original pair of headphones (who knew Sennheiser HD650 was okay
biggrin.gif
), and recently sold all the rest. These days there is such a diverse set of products! There's a lot to be excited about, and many great things to hear.

But there are also many bad products still - either overpriced or simply not good. It takes the concerted efforts of the community to review, report, etc. We need to keep the companies in check! And I appreciate a little doubt. But I also think the technology is amply available these days, and I also believe implementation is the key.

Last, I've come to make certain assumptions about a few companies. I have not yet heard, for myself, a CEntrance product. However, I have read many good things about their history of products. I have watched the videos and email exchanges from the campaigns, felt as if I were a part of the trials and efforts of Mr. Goodman. I believe he genuinely believes in his products, works very hard on the implementation, and would not release something before it was ready and sounded like something special.

I am looking forward to the CEntrance DACportHD.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #43 of 277
I heard the original Dacport (the thing that is cylindrical in shape) and I thought it sounded pretty good, a bit more analytical than my E17. The HD has a different and newer DAC chip, so it should be interesting.

Sep 10, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #44 of 277
Won't be too long for those waiting on the retail versions.

My two cents: It's one thing about a fly-in-the-night product/company looking to make a splash or test out the waters, but CEntrance has been around while and their target market is still the professional/amateur musician crowd.  Us audio enthusiast just happens to benefit from it all. I've owned three CEntrance products and have never been disappointed with them or the service.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #45 of 277
The last announcement on campaign page about shipping rates is not particularly amusing.  $15 for conUS, $45 elsewhere for such a small item...
Massdrop's Slim version included free shipping for just $99.99 - yet the folks who funded the product get slammed with these excessive shipping charges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back