Cellphone with good camera?
Jan 11, 2009 at 6:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm totally out of touch with cellphones (see what I did there?), and I'm looking for a cellphone with a good camera. I don't need all the other bells and whistles, e.g., organizers, music players, internet, etc. Are there any good camera phones out there without having to splurge on an N82?

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 33
N82's price has been fair these days (~350 US$) and it's one hell of a camera phone. How many megapixels do you need? (3.2 vs 5 vs 8) also, any preference on type of flash (LED vs Xenon vs no flash) and budget?

I had N82 before I switched to the bold, and it's wonderful all-rounder in my opinion. Most other 5+ mp cameraphones are above 350+$ I think.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #3 of 33
I'm tempted by a Chinese N82 for ~$150...but I have no idea if it's reliable, etc. Are the sensors in phones good enough to do 5 mps upwards nowadays? I'm not thinking of spending too much, but I'm so out of touch that I don't know what a low budget looks like. The N82 seems like it's overkill though, with all its functions. My Touch does most of the mobile computing stuff, and I reckon it does it better. *grin*

And Red, you'll be glad to know I'm finally caving. I e-mailed Marcus at headphone.com.au about the ESW9 yesterday. I'm getting one as soon as they're in stock.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 33
Chinese N82 at 150 seems little too cheap :S would it be genuine?
Mine is still working (sold it to my gf's sister after using it for 9 months, and it's been working well for about 15 months without any problems overall)

here's a good site to check out mobile phone pictures and specs: GSMArena.com - GSM phone reviews, news, opinions, votes, manuals and more...

most decent cameraphones now use CCD, afaik, and I believe new samsung innov8 uses cmos sensors. (they go for 600$+ though, ouch)

Good news to hear about ESW9, welcome to the team portable woodies.
wink.gif
I'm still waiting for exchange rate to get better so I can order a zana deux.

Jan 11, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #5 of 33
I'd be surprised if the N82 didn't work well after 15 months...or is that surprising for cellphones nowadays.

I should compare with Chinese N82 with my girlfriend's $500 one. She bought it when it was brand new.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 33
nokia n 72 pink ones at overstock .com on the cheap

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
:S I would still recommend buying the product from authorized dealer with warranty. In my opinion, reliability of most cell phone is less than ideal, unfortunately.

yep

i am impressed my iphone has lasted 15 months, it should be an expectation, not a suprise!

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 33
I've got an N95 that takes very good pictures.
If you're looking to spend a little less, Sony Ericsson K850 is supposed to have a very good camera, apparently better than the N95, and the even cheaper K800/810i also takes good pictures.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 33
Don't look at the megapixel ratings as a single quotient for good pictures. Look at also how big the lens is and the flash type. There are some 5 meg cameraphones that take ***** for pictures.

My preference would be:

N95
Sony K850
N82

From what I have tried only the N series and Sony Ericsson Picture K series can seriously say they can replace a standalone P&S camera.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back