cellphone as media player
May 12, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by brokenwallet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kramer, how does the vx8300 sound?

I have a vx8100, with an ebay adapter it sounds horrible. I wonder if the verizon or lg branded adapters are worth a try?

I find it usable for ultra-portable tunes on the go. It is bass-shy though IMHO. At least it doesn't hiss with any of my IEMs. Many MP3 players can't cleanly power highly sensitive IEMs without external amplification. So... at least its good in that respect.

I could never use it for serious listening, or video watching. Then again I don't think I could use any MP3 based source as such.

I like the verison adapter, for $15 it makes my IEMs useable for phone conversations. The volume knob is infinitely adjustable so it adds some flexibility too on top of the headphone volume adjustment on the phone. Its a potentiometer... basically a variable resistance impedance adapter. I think part of the hiss-free IEM performance of this setup is a result of the adapter. So, for $15 I think the added features are worth the extra expense. I also had a generic ebay adapter for a while, it was just a headphone adapter, with no mic feature for hands free phone use. I got tired of unplugging the IEMs every time to answer the phone.

May 14, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #20 of 25
I use a Motorola MaxxVe that has a decent speaker and I use an adapter for IEM's.

May 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM Post #21 of 25
I have tried my Nokia 6323 and Sony Ericsson W800i mobile phones with my HD595s. Not too bad, but only listened to a few tracks (all 320kbps mp3 files).

Not tried them through the car's (cheapie) stereo yet - although the iPod was OK.

May 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #22 of 25
I have the Motorola Cliq and Nokia N95. How do you know how much output it has? Do you just test by plugging a high end headphone like the HD 650 and know right away that it is underpowered? What are the signs?

May 24, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #24 of 25
I'm using a Nokia N900 playing FLAC files - its not bad - but then again when I'm out and about its not really the environment for critical listening.

May 24, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:
I have the Motorola Cliq and Nokia N95. How do you know how much output it has? Do you just test by plugging a high end headphone like the HD 650 and know right away that it is underpowered? What are the signs?

You can check the specs of the source and the headphones and deteremine if the source provides enough power for the phones.    But most obviously you will notice that volume is very low even when set to max with higher impedance(300ohm) headphones such as HD650.  Thats what happens with headphones of very low sensitivity, they demand power.  Portable phone, or mp3 players barely has the power to supply such power demanding headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back