Cello?
Feb 1, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Hmm I too am interested in getting into Cello... I heard a Yo-Yo Ma track the other day on the radio and liked it, and hear that artist is good in the cello field. It looks like Sony is the only label that has Yo-Yo Ma.

Feb 1, 2002 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 13
Yes, Yo-yo Ma is considered by many to be one of the top Celloists. IMHO, just a tad overrated, but he is still quite good. He has done a variety of things, from the "Appallachian something" in trio form (almost new-agey), to improvisational based material with Bobby McFerrin (jazz-ish), to the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack (highly recommended), to true classical stuff. So just pick the kind of music you want to listen to, and it certainly would not be a bad place to start.

Any classical fans want to name some famous Cello concertos? The only one I know is the Dvorak, and I don't even really know that much about it, just that it's one of the more popular ones to play.

Feb 1, 2002 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 13
I highly recommend Yo-Yo Ma's Solo, which is part of his Silk Road series and has Appalachian Waltz, which I think is the track DustyChalk is referring to. There are more Appalachia titles on Ma's records with Mark O'Connor, composer of the aforementioned tune.

Superb recordings I discovered from other members on this site:

Jacqueline Du Pre - Favourite Cello Concertos (3 discs, EMI 63283)
Yo-Yo Ma - Unaccompanied Cello Suites (Bach), which I loaned out, so I don't have the disc number. There are two versions of this and I have the older one. It's got a red/maroon cover.

Feb 2, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #6 of 13
I think some of the most accessible pieces include Hayden's Concertos No.1 & 2. I recommend both the YoYo Ma/Sony as well as the Rostropovich/EMI issue. Both are great but very different performances with excellent recording quality. With this piece I've found Rostropovich to be the moody stylist, whereas Ma's technical proficiency really tends to shine through.

Feb 3, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by DustyChalk

Any classical fans want to name some famous Cello concertos? The only one I know is the Dvorak, and I don't even really know that much about it, just that it's one of the more popular ones to play.

For good cello moments I'd recommend you:

-Elgar's concerto for cello & orchestra p 85
-Dvorak's cello concerto in B minor
-Haydn's Cello concerto No. 1
-Schubert's Quintet for piano, violin, viola, cello and double bass "The Trout"
-Debussy's "La Mer" - Beowulf favourite, highly recommended. Check the first movement.
-Richard Strauss - Don Quixote
-Vivaldi's Double Cello Concerto G minor, RV 531

For solos:

-Brahms' cello sonata no.2
-Debussy's sonata for cello and piano

You can also check out the opening of Rossini's William Tell if you have it around.

All these are pretty good.

Feb 3, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 13
Feb 3, 2002 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 13
My recommendation for Elgar's Cello Concerto is Du Pre/ Sir John Barbirolli recording.

Feb 3, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by beowulf
-Schubert's Quintet for piano, violin, viola, cello and double bass "The Trout"

Thanks for reminding me -- Schubert's Piano Trio No. 2 in E flat -- highly recommended. One of the most beautiful and lyrical pieces of chamber music I have ever heard, and in my top 10 favourite pieces of classical music of all time. Cello, violin, and piano, so the cello gets a lot of time.

Feb 3, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 13
Another good cellist is Janos Starker. He tends to be very interpretive which you may or may not like once you become an enthusiast. I have to second the Bach Cello Suites. The Bach Suites are simply the biggest test of a cellists mettle. All the best cellists will have recordings of Bachs Suites. Pablo Casals is a fantastic cellist although his recordings are all pre 1950 and most are in the 30's I think. But his interpretation of the Bach suites are exquisite if you can get past the sound quality issues. Others have been mentioned, rostropovich, yo yo ma. I wouldn't call Yo Yo Ma overrated per-se, just over talked about. He is the best at doing a variety of musical styles. He can feel practically any groove so to speak. Good luck in your pursuits.

Schuberts arrpeggione is a BEAUTIFUL piece of work as well. Definately check that out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back