Cello Music
May 9, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #16 of 44
I would try the Elgar concerto (and the other concertos) by Du Pre, arguably the most promising cellist at the moment. Too bad her life was cut short. Other than that, try out the numerous Yo Yo Ma and Casals.

May 9, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 44
I was at a store today that didn't have a large collection of classical pieces. I did see a Yo-Yo Ma plays Bach cd which I'm planning to get.

May 9, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #21 of 44
B000001GFA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Schubert: String Quintet in C, D. 956

May 9, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 44
Once again thanks you guys. I really appreciate your recommendations but adding the pictures of the albums is such a nice gesture. Thanks!

May 9, 2003 at 4:57 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
I was at a store today that didn't have a large collection of classical pieces. I did see a Yo-Yo Ma plays Bach cd which I'm planning to get.

Was it "Simply Baroque" or the one that was inspired by Bach's solo cello suites...?

I normally dislike such things, but both are surprisingly enjoyable.

May 9, 2003 at 5:16 AM Post #24 of 44
It's this one
B000066AMM.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

May 9, 2003 at 5:35 AM Post #25 of 44
The Elgar Cello Concerto / Jacqueline du Pré, the Dvorak Cello Concerto & Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations / Rostropovich, and the six Suites for Solo Cello / Rostropovich recommended, respectively, by KR, Dark Angel, and Arzela are must-haves...definitive performances of these great works.

Some other recommedations:

Lutoslawski & Dutilleux's Cello Concertos / Rostropovich. This has recently been reissued by EMI as one of its "Great Recordings of the Century" series. These are modern works--don't expect to hear traditional melody, harmony, thematic development, &c.--yet they are quite accessible. If you like these, try Ligeti and Schnittke's Concertos.

Bruch's "Kol Nidrei" & Bloch's "Schelomo" are two interesting pieces. If you'd get the Fournier performance on DG, it also has Lalo & Saint-Saens' Cello Concertos.

Richard Strauss' "Don Quixote." Rostropovich does well on EMI, but it's coupled with the (yawn...) Schumann Cello Concerto. The Du Pre on EMI is good, as is the Fournier on DG.

There are many, many rewarding chamber works featuring the Cello.

If you stick with Rostropovich, Du Pre, Fournier, Janos Starker, Casals you'll most likely be getting good/great stuff. Isserlis and Rose are two hopeful prospects. Oh yeah...and that Yo Yo guy (Ma). I don't particularly care for his interpretations/style, but someone must: he sells a lot of albums...

May 9, 2003 at 8:42 AM Post #27 of 44
Hi Guardian,

Took your advice and listened to Jorane. It seems quite intriguing and I might drop by a record store to have a listen to the rest of the songs. The streaming quality I'm getting doesn't so the songs justice.

May 9, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #28 of 44
cool.gif
Thanks for trying her on my word. I really love her and find her to be both unique and important.

Please note that her first albu, Vent Fou, is not as good as 16mm.

Nov 2, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #29 of 44
Yo-Yo Ma! I love Yo Yo ma. i'm not too familair with any other cellist. but you all have given me a good list to start exploring with. You should check out yo-yo ma's bach cello suites and his new cd: obrigado brazil. the're so good that i feel like screaming

Nov 2, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #30 of 44
Haydn, Cello Concerto i D-major. (The C-major concerto is also excellent!) Try Du Pré's recording! (I also love my recordings with Rostropovich and Yo-Yo Ma, you really can't go wrong! =))

Bach's Cello Suites, I recommend Yo-Yo Ma ("Inspired by Bach"), and Heinrich Schiff.

I still haven't got Rostropovich's version, but it costs more than 50 dollars here, and as I've already got 4 versions I can't justify spending more on these particular pieces right now...=/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back