Cello ensembles
Sep 28, 2005 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bsdfish

New Head-Fier
I went to see Apocalyptica yesterday in SF and was just amazed. I've always enjoyed their music, but seeing a live show was awesome! That inspired me to look for more cello groups.

Searching hasn't revealed much in the way of cello rock groups, so I'm asking the forum. Do you guys have any groups that you enjoy where cello takes a prominant role? What about classical music -- are there good pieices/genres which tend to have multiple cellos dominating the music?

Thanks,

Sep 28, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 9
Apocalyptica is in LA tonight, I'm so disappointed I couldn't see them. Great to know they had a good show though.
icon10.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Well, if you like female vocals, Rasputina ( www.rasputina.com) is a good bet. It's two women playing cello and a drummer. Odd would be a good word, but the cellos are THE instrument, so it's a good way to go. And Melora Creager, who does the vocals and writing has a haunting voice and, well, twisted sense of humor. How We Quit the Forest, Cabin Fever & Frustration Plantation are my 3 favorite albums, and their live album, A Radical Recital is strong, too.

Also, Zoe Keating ( www.zoekeating.com ) , the 2nd cellist in Rasputina, does looping, which involves layering her playing as she goes. It's instrumental and very intricate. Exurgency on One Cello x 16: EP is very strong, and her full-length album was just released.

[edit] Rachel's is another one w/ strong cello... it's a neo-classical group that plays some beautiful stuff. Definitely worth checking out. [/edit]

Oct 1, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, I just want to chime in about Rasputina again...

I just got back from a killer show. It was my third Rasputina concert in the last 16 monts or so, and I can't stress how great a show they put on. What those two women do with cellos is amazing, and they played some new material which was pretty exciting. The crowd was a little disappointing at times, but when all is said and done, it was a great night.

Oct 11, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 9
Only the first one of these has the cello prominent and out front, and it's not rock, but here's my quick and dirty cello dump anyway. Use it or not, however you like
wink.gif

Music For A Glass Bead Game, Bach, Zoltan Kodaly, et al., performed by Arturo Delmoni on violin and Nathaniel Rosen on cello, John Marks Records, 1997. This one is a real "can't miss" album for violin and cello lovers and the recording is truly audiophile. Read more at http://www.jmrcds.com/GlassBead.htm. I saw these two at one of the Stereophile shows and we were sitting just a few feet away. Totally mesmerizing. You could feel the bows moving across the strings and the air was charged with beautiful music. Best sound I heard at that show, by a wide margin. My friend picked up one of their CDs on the John Marks label at the show and I later got this one. They both are really amazing recordings.

Lots of cello being used nowadays in some of the pop stuff I listen to. Also, if you like the Dead Can Dance sound, give a listen to the Vas album, In The Garden of Souls, on the Narada label. Well known cellist Cameron Stone is featured on some of the songs and adds a very nice dimension to this middle eastern sounding music. Great recording.

Robert Rich has a great one called Seven Veils. This is a 1998 instrumental release on the Hearts of Space label that I have seen described as "ancient music from another planet" which may not be far off. A blend of Middle Eastern percussion and constanly changing ambient atmospheres textured with his lap steel guitar and bamboo flute along with Hans Christian on cello, and others on violin, bass and occasional searing electric guitar. A very high level of melodic and rhythmic sophistication on this album will keep you exploring it for a long time. Very soothing and captivating at the same time. And incredible sound quality.

Also, the feminine half of Laika, Margaret Fiedler, is a very good cellist and has played on many recordings. I know she supported PJ Harvey sometimes on tour too, playing guitar and cello (some of the early PJ songs were heavy on cello). I don't think any of the Laika songs have a cello in the mix but she does play a lot of other instruments.

The latest from the Mountain Goats, The Sunset Tree, has some nice cello work and string arrangements by well known Erik Friedlander.

Ditto on Lali Puna, Faking The Books, with electronics balanced by guitar and, in some songs, cello and violin like on the Notwist Neon Golden album

And one of my favorites along the same line as that Notwist album is Hood's Closer. I like that one song called "They Removed All Trace That Anything Had Ever Happened Here" which begins with a swarm of skittering clicks mixed over a solid drum foundation, and gets towed along by a mournful cello and jangly guitars with vocals split between Chris Hood and a loop by Dose-One.

And Rachel's is a real avante-garde chamber orchestra with viola, piano, cello and guitar. Check out Selenography for a good taste.

Oct 11, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #8 of 9
As you asked for artists, I do recommend you Mischa Maisky - just for the record, he's playing classical music, sry, I don't know any other band/group that plays rock music with Cellos. I guess it's futile to explain or describe his musical style, it's way better to listen to some samples. That way it's easier to make your mind up whether you like it or not. The special about Maisky aren't just his own recordings, but his longtime cooperation and friendship with a prominent piano player: Martha Argerich. If you slightly dig piano music you ought to try their many joint recordings, especially if you love live recordings: Live in Japan.
IIRC Amazon has most of them in stock, together with samples you should try.

Enjoy!

Marcus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back