Cell phones & water don't mix.
Jun 26, 2005 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
So last night my wife fell asleep on the couch and accidently knocked a glass of water over, which spilled onto my cell phone. The phone powers on and off (which is a plus), but nothing else works, the keypad and all other buttons currently do nothing. Right now I have the battery removed and the phone is in a ziploc bag with a dessicant pack in hopes it will dry out and work again. Is there anything else I should do? Cross my fingers and hope for the best?

I was an AT&T Wireless customer at the merger (Cingular) so in the event it doesn't work I can't just buy a new phone and have the number transferred. Cingular tells me we'd have to buy 2 new phones at full retail price (we are on a shared plan) and sign a new 2 year contract, or I can cancel my service and pay a $175 cancellation fee on each line
eek.gif
, neither option sounds very inviting to me. The way I see it we should be allowed out of our contract if they can't sell me a new phone on our existing plan, and offer no other options. The only other route I can think of is to buy a used phone on eBay and have it activated on our existing plan.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 12
I just lost my fantastic Motorolla cell phone when I went swimming in the lake with my girlfriend and friends at 11:00 at night
biggrin.gif
Forgot it was in my pocket.

I tried to hairdry it but no luck there. I had also put it through the wash one day, so it was about time the thing died.

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
It's a Sony Ericsson T637, there are 2 Torx screws inside the battery compartment, but I don't have a small enough Torx bit.

You need a T6 bit mate - I think what you're doing is your best bet

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

So last night my wife fell asleep on the couch and accidently knocked a glass of water over, which spilled onto my cell phone. The phone powers on and off (which is a plus), but nothing else works, the keypad and all other buttons currently do nothing. Right now I have the battery removed and the phone is in a ziploc bag with a dessicant pack in hopes it will dry out and work again. Is there anything else I should do? Cross my fingers and hope for the best?

I was an AT&T Wireless customer at the merger (Cingular) so in the event it doesn't work I can't just buy a new phone and have the number transferred. Cingular tells me we'd have to buy 2 new phones at full retail price (we are on a shared plan) and sign a new 2 year contract, or I can cancel my service and pay a $175 cancellation fee on each line
eek.gif
, neither option sounds very inviting to me. The way I see it we should be allowed out of our contract if they can't sell me a new phone on our existing plan, and offer no other options. The only other route I can think of is to buy a used phone on eBay and have it activated on our existing plan.

1. take it apart, shoot it with compressed air, and let dry for 2 days... worked for me and many people.. phone functioned fully afterwards

2. buy used phone on ebay... transfer number over

3. buy phone insurance, wait 1 month until it comes into effect, claim damage or stolen... get replacement phone

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok, I got it apart (no work at all for a little jewelers screwdriver) and the pad behind the buttons looks bad, lots of water spots and dirty areas. I'm going to leave it in the bag overnight and hope for the best.

As a side note, can I buy any unlocked quad band phone and with my sim card activate it on the AT&T network?

Jun 26, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Ok, I got it apart (no work at all for a little jewelers screwdriver) and the pad behind the buttons looks bad, lots of water spots and dirty areas. I'm going to leave it in the bag overnight and hope for the best.

As a side note, can I buy any unlocked quad band phone and with my sim card activate it on the AT&T network?

Just buy any unlocked quad band or a tri band (with the 850 band) phone or a phone locked for AT&T or whatever carrier you use and swap the SIM card. That's it. No activation needed.

Jun 26, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Success, I put it back together this morning and it works fine again! It's good to know I can buy any unlocked phone and just slap my sim card in there and go, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back