Cell phones as MP3 players (how bad are they?)
May 20, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 37
"cellphones" are more to blast out the latest tunes - rather than bring a cumbersome speaker and DAP setup to college with you

They're for casual use imo. Not intended for pairing them with whatever is the fotm in the headphone section. If you cared, you'd get a dedicated player

smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
"cellphones" are more to blast out the latest tunes - rather than bring a cumbersome speaker and DAP setup to college with you

They're for casual use imo. Not intended for pairing them with whatever is the fotm in the headphone section. If you cared, you'd get a dedicated player

smily_headphones1.gif

Huh???

Don't get what college has to do with listening to music on a cellphone (and for me, most tunes that I "blast" on my phone or any other player are rarely "the latest" - my phone plays my 90's Fall and 70's Pfunk albums just fine
tongue.gif
)

I don't think anyone said anything about using high-end phones either. I was wondering how the phone would compare with a X5L/Creative Vision M/5G ipod/etc, etc., through decent portable phones like KSC-75s, CK7s, etc.

May 22, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka
How bad are they?? Very, very bad. It's just like cam in phone, same crap
icon10.gif

Cameras suck only because you can't put proper optics in a cell phone (or you can and have something like Nokia N90 or N93). Mp3 phones are at least as good as cheap dedicated mp3 players.

May 22, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #22 of 37
Fairly poor actually. Similar to budget mp3 players. And if it uses a USB -> headphone jack cable à la Razr it sounds like what I leave in the toilet.

May 22, 2006 at 6:53 PM Post #23 of 37
It has a dedicated headphone jack (as I mentioned regarding the adapter) and the sound really is not bad (and I'm not one of those people who are coming from using stock headphones - I have a D777, Grado 60s and KSC-75s and have a pretty low tolerance for 'crappy', sibilant, poor sound in general).

This is generally considered the best phone ever made for Sprint (unfortunately discontinued not long after it was released) and it must have a decent amp. I must say it's nice to have a (listenable) 2G flash player and phone in one unit. For those slamming cell phone music players - have you heard one? (I'm sure the quality varies greatly anyway)

Are flash players generally easier to get good sound out of than HDs?

May 22, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #24 of 37
I have a Sony Ericsson K750i which is closely related to the W800 Walkman phone (same hardware, different software). The sound actually isn't too bad when compared to my iPod. I didn't get it for tunes though, it's just a nice extra feature like the very nice 2 Mpix cam it has. That reminds me, I have to go pick up a bigger mem.card, the standard 64 meg just ain't cuttin' it.
tongue.gif

May 23, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #25 of 37
I'm considering getting a k750i and pairing them with my Senn HD497s just for the half an hour I've gotta travel on the train to and from work every day. Anybody else had experience with this combo? Volume is probably the most critical thing here, given that the train is pretty noisy.

May 23, 2006 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 37
i have a w800i (if you check howardforums, the k750i/w800i/w810i series are pretty much considered the best mp3 combo phone out there) and i definitely enjoy it. the interface is clean (i.e. blatant iPod ripoff), there's kind of a true audio out (there's an adaptor with a built in mic and you connect your 3.5mm headphone plug into that), and the storage is expandable (memory stick pro duo up to 2gb currently).

it's really convenient for me as a student, as i'm not yet ready to carry a man purse around with me for audio equipment and such.

when it comes down to it, however, just like i have my nikon d50 for serious photography, i have a regular DAP for when i'm really listening to my music.

May 23, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by narzf
I'm considering getting a k750i and pairing them with my Senn HD497s just for the half an hour I've gotta travel on the train to and from work every day. Anybody else had experience with this combo? Volume is probably the most critical thing here, given that the train is pretty noisy.

are those full size headphones?

for the commute I would think the easier/more compact the better, like canal phones such as Senn CX-300/Creative EP60, or upscale ones like A-T CK7(which I am about to get for my mp3 phone) or Panasonic HJE70.

They seal off much but not ALL outside noise (which is good for outside) and you can stick them in your pocket. poyfect.

May 24, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #28 of 37
so I briefly compared the phone to my D777 last night. The D777 certainly has more bass and a somewhat 'fuller' sound, but the MM-9000 did not sound awful in comparison. less bass and slight sibilance, but not awful by any stretch.

May 25, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #29 of 37
The sound quality is OK to me. For the average person who doesn't give a thing about audio would probably like it, Its more for just blasting the music through stock earbuds. I have a friend that has one of those MP3 phones (I didn't pay attention too much to what model it is so I cannot clarify.) but I took a brief impression and didn't like it. Its just like using iBuds with "poor" music but it wasn't awful, just the average normal person would appreciate it.

May 25, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #30 of 37

Users who are viewing this thread

Back