Cell phones as MP3 players (how bad are they?)
May 2, 2006 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
I think I am about to get a Sanyo MM-9000 cell phone, which happens to have MP3 support and a mini-SD slot, so it could conceiveably be used as a 2gig flash player.

Has anyone tried listening to music from a cell phone? Can you use regular headphones (with an adapter)? How is the sound quality - is it unlistenable? (I know it would drain the battery too, but concerned w/sound qual here).

Thinking in terms of just using to on the subway to work and back, not for any 'serious' listening, obviously.

May 2, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 37
I'm interested in this too.
I did a search here and apparently the Sony Ericsson phones (W800, W900) seem to fine.

I'm waiting for some one to get the W950 though
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 37
I just upgraded phones to the XV-6700 and it's really not so hot. In a pinch...yes but just not for me. Same with the video. Just a poor result. Still experimenting with software though.

May 2, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
my treo is great as an mp3 player. has a lot of features and settings with Ptunes.

But the sound blows.

confused.gif

May 2, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #6 of 37
The sound is decent enough if you don't plan to listen critically. And anyways the subway is not the a place where sound quality would be noticeable. I would say go for it. The controls are not as fast or intuitive as a real mp3 though. If that does not bother you go for it. I am basing my experiences on the Nokia 6330

May 2, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 37
I think the mp3 player market will become dominated by phone/mp3 player combinations, with high capacity HD.

I am just wondering if the new mp3 player leader will be Apple or Nokia?

We all saw what happened to Sony's lead when they missed the HD bandwagon.....

And Nokia at present make more cameras than any other company.

h

May 2, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhnhyouh
I think the mp3 player market will become dominated by phone/mp3 player combinations, with high capacity HD.

I am just wondering if the new mp3 player leader will be Apple or Nokia?

We all saw what happened to Sony's lead when they missed the HD bandwagon.....

And Nokia at present make more cameras than any other company.

h

Nah, there is always people who can't afford a cellphone, because of the ,monthly fees.

May 2, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
I just upgraded phones to the XV-6700 and it's really not so hot. In a pinch...yes but just not for me. Same with the video. Just a poor result. Still experimenting with software though.

i second that. i have the same phone, and when i tried to listen to music through it, man, i felt as bad as i ever could.
mad.gif

May 3, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 37
I have an LG CU320 from Cingular. It also comes with bluetooth, stereo video (15fps) and an MP3 player with microSD support.

The sound quality is listenable but you have to use good headphones. I bought an adapter from Verizon that has a built-in mic and volume control and 3.5mm stereo jack for your own phones. The volume control is handy because the CU320 has only about eight volume steps including mute.

Overall, the CU320 has a lot of functions that are not as good as dedicated devices (video player, digital camera, camcorder, mp3 player, video games, PDA with alarms, and net browser) but they are useable. In terms of battery life, the real hogs are videos and talking.

May 3, 2006 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 37
I have a Motorola SLVR, with a 512mb Transflash card. The sound quality is decent, it wont satisfy the average critical listener, but it certainly isn't poor. I've tried it with Westone UM2's and Senn CX300's, I find the Senns give the most listenable results. Great for ultra-portable sound on the go!

May 3, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #12 of 37
i'm using my samsung p850 cellphone as my music player. it doubles up as a capable 3.2mp camera too. the sound is ok. most cellphone's amp are not powerful enough to drive full-sized headphones and even some canalphones such as the er6i. but for most consumer-level earphones and canalphones, they are fine.

oh, and since when did nokia 'make more cameras than other companies'? i thought they were primary a cellphone manufacturer?

May 3, 2006 at 8:36 AM Post #14 of 37
My brother-in-law recently bought a sony ericsson w550i. I helped transfer some of my songs in it. With my e2c's, the sound compared to my ipod is more darker. I guess the sound is acceptable for my test. It's very convenient as it has many things in one.

May 20, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 37
So I did get the Sanyo MM-9000. I got 2.5/3.5 mm adapter and with KSC-75s the sound is surpisingly not bad! completely listenable! now I'm even more curious how this thing would compare to a dedicated MP3 player. without a side-by-side comparison, I have to say that I am not in any hurry to get that X5L I was set on. I'll have to compare it to my D777 at some point. now to get those CK7s to have the 'portable-est' sound possible.

so would an amp save the phone batteries when listening to music? (for train trips and whatnot).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back