Cell phone recommendations
Jun 30, 2007 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

PiccoloNamek

Headphoneus Supremus
I have reached a point in my life where I can unfortunately can no longer do without a cell phone. As much as I dislike the devices, I now must have one. Even more unfortunately, unlike Head-Fi I know nothing at all about Cellphone-Fi.

So, I must ask. What brands/phones are great? Which suck? What kind providers are good? Who do I stay away from?

Some information: One, I would probably use the phone for less than half an hour per year, if even that much. Two, I must be able to record any sound I want and use that as my ringtone. Other features, such as video, picture taking, and pretty much anything else are nice, but completely unimportant.

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two, I must be able to record any sound I want and use that as my ringtone.

Well, that pretty much eliminates the iPhone.

Also, you should shop around by the Carrier, and not the specific phone. Even though you may love the phone, you may not love the plan costs, and reception /reliability where you live.

You should mention how much you want to spend, and also per month budget for the plan.

Also, talk to friends and family, invite them over, check out how good/poor their reception is in different places you frequent and would need to use a cellphone. The REAL widow maker of different carriers is the reliability and reception of it's network in your area.

I ended up with Sprint for two reasons, they were the cheapest that offered the most in a plan, and CDMA only works well where I live. So that eliminated AT&T/Cingular and T-Moblie from the getgo. Verizon was too expensive, but would be my first choice of reception and reliability in my area.

-Ed

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 16
this may not help much, but motorola phones can allow you to transfer mp3 files from you PC to your phone as ringtones.

also, recent Samsung phones allow you to e-mail files to yourself and set them as ringtones. you can also record your voice and set that as a ringtone as well.

that's about all i can help you with.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hongda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With as little usage as you need, look into prepaid cell phones. All the major carriers have prepaid cell phones these days.

ditto... for 30 minutes / year, its not worth the hastle of a 1-2 year contract.

Surf the howard Chui forums for other Georgia residents and find out which provider has the most reliable coverage in your geographic area.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 16
Oh, one more thing, as far as shopping for features go.

Are you at all interested in Voice Dialing? If so, look for phones that have "Voice Signal" software built in. I believe nearly all new Samsung phones have them. I love that software. I really wish it were available for purchase for Pocket PC's. I'd buy it in a second.

-Ed

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One, I would probably use the phone for less than half an hour per year

this is a joke right? what one call per year do you desperately need a cell for?

you are only going to talk for half an hour per year but you need to make your own ringtones? what gives?

my advice, if you really need one, get a cheap pay-as-you go phone from your local 7-11 or fatwallet.com or whatever

i honestly don't understand how someone could have a cellphone and use it so little; i find them invaluable for meeting people, finding stuff, blah blah everything; i can't imagine you'd have one, carry it around all the time and never use it? i don't get it so my advice is: WHA?

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that pretty much eliminates the iPhone

LOL, and the fact that he'd never use his incredibly expensive piece of hardware doesn't?
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 16
In my experience, Motorola quality has gotten horrible. The Startac was great 10 years ago, but the newer Razr etc... are trash. I would say that Sony Ericsson and Samsung are probably the two best cell phone manufacturers atm. Palm Treo's are pretty nice, but I don't the price is very reasonable.

As for service providers, I can't really help you since I don't know what it's like in Georgia. I can say that here in California, ATT and Verizon are probably the two best as far as coverage goes, while T-Mobile is a bit better price-wise. Sprint, however, I can't really say.

Jul 1, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #12 of 16
I hate cell phones too. I use a Samsung flip phone that's about 2years old and it's great. While PDA cell phones, Blackberries, and the iPhone all look cool, they are about the least practical and annoying thing ever for the casual 15-30min/month cell phone user such as myself.

I personally wouldn't worry much about fancy ring tones. They can be funny, but usually are novel at best. But if you want it, you sure can have it!

Jul 1, 2007 at 10:07 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

this is a joke right? what one call per year do you desperately need a cell for?

One call? Who the heck would spend 30 minutes on the phone?

Anyway, I need the phone primarily quick business calls and so that my family members can check up on me while I'm out and about.

Perhaps 30m/year was a little too conservative. Maybe an hour or two a year would be closer.

Quote:

you are only going to talk for half an hour per year but you need to make your own ringtones? what gives?

If I am going to get something, it is going to be nice, and I want to be able to customize it... no matter how little I actually use it. When it rings, I want to hear the Staff Roll from Vagrant Story, not some cheesy ringtone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back