Cell phone laying next to Etys - any danger?
Jul 7, 2006 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ref

100+ Head-Fier
Is it dangerous to leave the cell phone laying next to (few inches) etys? What danger does it have? Is the damage permament?

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 12
I think for once everybody will agree with me this is the most random and oddest question ever asked concerning cell phones and audio equipment together.

And to answer your question, no. However, I noticed when I was wearing my 5 Pros and I walked through a library detector thingy, I had a soft hum go through. Thus, I think if ur a theif, this would help you see if stores really do have security equipment installed around the entrance. But I don't think it does anything directly to the IEMs. No reason iirc why they should...

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 12
I would not worry about cell phone damage to Etys. They are pretty durable. Be concerned about catching the cord on something and having the plugs ripped from your ears.

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 12
dunno, I was thinking about affecting the driver by magnetism? Everybody knows the sound speakers do when you put a cell phone close and call it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
dunno, I was thinking about affecting the driver by magnetism? Everybody knows the sound speakers do when you put a cell phone close and call it
smily_headphones1.gif

Well try to keep your Etys away from the cell phone. Simple and cheap fix right?? Enjoy them. They be some sweet IEMs. They get the most use out of anything I own.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref
smily_headphones1.gif

That's the reciver/amplifier that's causing the noise, not the speakers. They just make the noise.

Jul 8, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
However, I noticed when I was wearing my 5 Pros and I walked through a library detector thingy, I had a soft hum go through.

I noticed this the other day for the first time too. It was weird. I had to pull the phones out to make sure I hadn't set off the alarm.

Jul 8, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 12
That reminds me...peepz say on here that the Senn 650 have been displayed in Apple stores lately...
tongue.gif
I kid, I kid!

Jul 8, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 12
The_Duke_Of_Eli nailed it. The headphones are just doing their job of "playing" the interference picked up by the amp. Therefore no, if you can hold a cell phone up to your brain for extended periods of time with (hopefully!) no damage, your Etys will be fine!
biggrin.gif

Not to mention cellies dont put out much of a magnetic field at all.

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by PerformanceFirst
To the OP, if you're really worried, you could look into getting a lead lined case for them.
blink.gif

But if he does, no babies for him!
icon10.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
One possible worry:
The radiation from the phone may cause the ER6i's to have a tinge of radiation and when you wear them, youe ears will mutate along with your eardrums that will give you super-hearing powers! It'll get you sucked into the hobby even more so!

On the serious note, unless you're worried about ^, I really don't think you should worry at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back