Cell phone-fi
Jun 14, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am frustrated by the fact that in my line of work I can't have a phone with a camera. so that means that at least for now I won't be able to enjoy a high end mobile.
frown.gif

You work with Aborigines or at a strip club, right?

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You work with Aborigines or at a strip club, right?

No, I work in nuclear plants.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 50
Quote:

When I saw in your profile NDT Inspector that is what I thougth. BTW I used to work in TVA and wrote the ASME Section XI Program for the Sequoyah Plant in 1986 to 1990. Before that I wrote and developed the Code Class Boundary Drawings (1, 2, 3, and NN Class). Man it has been a long time.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Or there's that.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in them? Are daily employees allowed to have camera phones?

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I saw in your profile NDT Inspector that is what I thougth. BTW I used to work in TVA and wrote the ASME Section XI Program for the Sequoyah Plant in 1986 to 1990. Before that I wrote and developed the Code Class Boundary Drawings (1, 2, 3, and NN Class). Man it has been a long time.

Wow! It's a small world, isn't it? And you're a dubber too! Hell, if I'm ever in Fla we have to get together, I'm good for at least two beers!
rs1smile.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #21 of 50
I just upgraded my Treo 650 to a Treo 750 on cingular (now ATT) I haven't tried the 750 with headphones yet. The 650 did ok while listening to music on the plane before I got my ipod and zune..... still getting used to the switch from palm os to windows mobile...

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #22 of 50
Quote:

Or there's that.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do in them? Are daily employees allowed to have camera phones?

I inspect heat exchangers.

In most nuclear plants I've been to (and I've been to a LOT) cameras of any kind are only allowed by special permission.

The concern is that bad people will be able to take detailed pictures of safeguards, something that should be avoided if possible.

But I have noticed a trend, a few plants here and there are aware that it is very difficult to buy a phone without a camera, and they are relaxing their restrictions.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #23 of 50
Quote:

I inspect heat exchangers.

Interesting, I suspect those are very important in a nuclear reactor.
cool.gif

Quote:

In most nuclear plants I've been to (and I've been to a LOT) cameras of any kind are only allowed by special permission.

The concern is that bad people will be able to take detailed pictures of safeguards, something that should be avoided if possible.

But I have noticed a trend, a few plants here and there are aware that it is very difficult to buy a phone without a camera, and they are relaxing their restrictions.

Something I've never really thought of. I wonder how many different types of sensitive industries have rules like this. With camera phones so pervasive, I can imagine it's very hard to enforce.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 50
Quote:

Interesting, I suspect those are very important in a nuclear reactor.
cool.gif

They are, and they are numerous, that's why I can afford to spend time here!
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

Something I've never really thought of. I wonder how many different types of sensitive industries have rules like this. With camera phones so pervasive, I can imagine it's very hard to enforce.

That is just one reason why I am upset that phone manufacturers don't make cameras optional on high end phones, many of the sites we go to, not just nuclear plants, prohibit cell phone cameras.

I acquired a new phone today, my options in the Verizon store were limited to exactly 5 phones.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #25 of 50
I have the Cingular 8125:

cingular-8125-2.jpg

Quote:

Many high-end phones have cameraless versions available. For example, my 8125 is also available as the 8100 and the newer 8525 has a 8500 variant. They cost the same but at least you can use them. These variants are almost never displayed or even acknowledged instore, but they're hidden online.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #26 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Cingular 8125:

cingular-8125-2.jpg

Many high-end phones have cameraless versions available. For example, my 8125 is also available as the 8100 and the newer 8525 has a 8500 variant. They cost the same but at least you can use them. These variants are almost never displayed or even acknowledged instore, but they're hidden online.

I did inquire as to all of my options, the sales girl was quite helpful. The phone I ended up getting was in fact not on display in the store, she had to get it from the back.

But it is far from a high end phone.

I suspect a lot of these manufacturers make camera-less phones, but I don't think that the major mobile phone companies in the US purchase them at all.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #27 of 50
@nela...why not purchase a phone with a camera? i know you are not allowed to, but do they really check you? or are you just scared of the consequences? i'm just curious...i mean are they that strict that they check everyday for it? how would they know your phone has a cam on it?

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #28 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@nela...why not purchase a phone with a camera? i know you are not allowed to, but do they really check you? or are you just scared of the consequences? i'm just curious...i mean are they that strict that they check everyday for it? how would they know your phone has a cam on it?

Yes, they really check. Every single time on the way into the plant.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #30 of 50
Phone's currently in my collection:

T-Mobile Dash
Nokia 6086
Motorola RAZR V3
Sony Ericsson W710i
Motorola MPx200

The Dash is my primary phone, although in the last couple days it has gotten displaced by the Nokia 6086 since it has UMA functionality (GSM over WiFi). I plan on putting the Dash on a data-only line in the next few days so that way I can enjoy UMA for my main phone line and then still have the functionality of the Dash. The rest of those handsets are backups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back