Cell Phone Audio?
Mar 29, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it mostly depend on the bitrate/quality of the MP3?

That helps a lot, but the source matters a LOT too..

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #17 of 30
Ive got a SE W810i and it sound quite decent, about on par with my ipod, am Im sure making a good FastPort cable would make it a bit better too. As a rule of thumb tho, cell phone mp3 players in general are kinda crappy if u want good quality. If you just wanna listen to music, then they are more than good enough, but some are obviously better than others.

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Persuasion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the general consensus here about Cell phone audio? I mean the mp3 player capabilities when using headphones.

I'm really curious about the headphone jack. I've seen a few cells with mini usb headphones and using the mini microphone jack for buds. Are there any cells out there that use the standard headphone jack?

ya I think what you really want is an iPhone. Be patient, it'll be here soon

Mar 29, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #19 of 30
I always thought my w810i output was pretty bad (far worse than 4g color)...guess i need to try again.

Mar 29, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #21 of 30
Got my S705 today. It’s awesome!

I don’t own a BT headset (don’t want one).

I use my PPC-6700 (CDMA Bell Mobility AKU 2.2), and a Seidio “plain-jane” $8.95 adapter along with Shure E4C buds when on the road (especially for planes), and Sony MDR-E888 buds when at home. I also plug it in to my car’s Clarion EQ aux.

Not knowing about the A2DP hack, I paired the S705 with the phone for Hands Free only without issue. Sound comes out of both L & R (mono I would think of course).

Then read then about the A2DP hack and did it no problems.I refreshed the pairing (including refreshing it on the S705), and Wireless Stereo also showed up. Both are now checked!

Testing so far is limited:

I can hear the tones when dialing out on my mobile. Haven't tried a call yet.

I can hear PocketMusic without skipping, and stop/start it, change vol. Will try TCPMP and WM soon.

I haven’t tried it with Mobile Skype yet, but I will soon. If it doesn't, I wonder if BlueMusic will fix it.

It’s small, 1” x 1.5” x 1/3”, kind of a rubberized plastic.

I won’t be able to use it on planes (of course), but I can see plugging it in to my auto’s Clarion EQ aux, for use in the car.

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmoone
I always thought my w810i output was pretty bad (far worse than 4g color)...guess i need to try again

Really ? My W810i sounds pretty damned good with the right headphones. The stock ones are ok-ish, but are really only worth using if you care about the length of the cord. Personally speaking though, I don't think that I would ever see a phone or any all in one being a replacement for a dedicated Mp3 player, for the simple reason that there are far too many features which a phone will never sport.

Gapless
Dynamic playlist support
better codec support etc. etc.. However, it is an excellent substitution when in a pinch. The battery is easily replaceable, and lasts long from the get go, navigation is easy (for me at least) because it's not bogged down with a deep GUI, and it actually does sound good. I also love having a radio available on my phone. Also, having it be drag/drop is nice.

Jun 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #25 of 30
W810i with its default software sounds terrible but once you mod the acoustic files, the difference can be quite astounding. Those looneys in the SE sound department sure need to learn a thing or two from these fans. :p

I recommend this forum: http://forums.se-nse.net/ and try using the BlackIce, smellulater (sp?) or Toshara's modded acoustic files.

Jun 17, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #26 of 30
using a w800 with the mongoose, askd. Sounds pretty good imo. I be using it with the PK1 unamped for portability. The EQ in the player is good enough to make the sound fuller.

how do the blackice and smellulater packs compare to the mongoose and askd's w810 acoustic combo?

Edit: Actually, don't need EQing with the PK1...hah.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #29 of 30
My RAZR came with a USB->1/8" adapter and even high bitrate MP3s sound just awful.

On another note, Etymotic's cellphone headset, the ety-com is very very nice. I get compliments on the call quality all the time.

Jun 20, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #30 of 30
Treo 650 sounds pretty good.

But newer Treo 755p from Sprint prolly sounds better as that phone is refined in almost every way. I just haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to it that much since I just got my miniSD card for it. I don't expect anything to different from the 650, tho.

However, 755p from Sprint is the way to go because of their SERO plan:

500 min, n&w @ 7pm, roaming, long dist, mobile 2 mobile, unlimited EV-DO data, unlimited text messages = $30/mo

I think 2000 min is $50/mo.

You can't beat SERO with a stick!! Think about all the money you could be saving with this plan... you could buy a REAL phone, like a Treo 755p!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back