cell phone as MP3 player??... anyone ?
Apr 16, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarodL1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how the iPhone will turn out in terms of SQ and if there will be a line out feature.

Will it be as good as Ipod? I'm wondering too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by melamina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T Is it worth still buying the sony w810, taking into consideration the probable sound issues? I've been trying to decide myself over these last 2 months and still haven't arrived to a conclusion.
I particularly wanted to use the phone as an mp3 player (considering that without the hissing and crackling it would sound quite well; even better with a new pair of headphones), and as a pen drive (with usb adapter). The camera is an extra that comes in handy (apparently takes quite good pictures for a phone). The design of the phone is much nicer than nokia's or other phones (my opinion).
Does anyone know if I buy the phone unlocked and never do a firmware update the sound problem will still be present?
If anyone has an opinion I'll be much obliged.

I was thinking the same. In the end I bought a Sony W850i and everything was a compromise. The SQ is listenable (probably better than some cheap mp3 players), the camera is OK and the memory stick is handy. It a good alternative - not a replacement - when you're not carrying a real MP3 player, a camera and a pen drive.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #79 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by melamina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your help.
I initially wanted to buy this phone to avoid carrying an mp3 player, pen drive, and phone. But I've come to the conclusion that it comes with a bunch of problems:
  1. Sound quality issues (hissing, crackling between songs, low volume, etc)
  2. If you want to change the headphones you will be left with a very long cord
  3. What would happen if the phone/mic connector breaks?
  4. I wanted to buy an extra 4Gb card which is not very cheap, and then a pendrive adapter (which usually are cheap)

Steven, do you recommend the iAudio U3 as the best player?
Can I use it as a pen drive for any sort of files?
There is a 4GB version, isn't there?
Thanks a lot,
Jimmy

Sorry for the delay Jimmy!

I would definitely recommend a 4GB U3, they really are great, light, excellent SQ and great to use. I needed something for the gym, researched them all and thats what I chose! (2GB though, nearly a year ago so no 4GB) The radio reception is pretty bad but thats true of every small mp3 I've tried. There are lots of good sounding smaller players around though, look here and follow some links:

http://www.dapreview.net/news.php

If you want a bigger, 30 - 80GB + player theres another whole world of options. I chose the iAudio X5 60GB but there are a few excellent players. Creative vision M 60GB rocks too.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #80 of 96
I have a Motorola SLVR and I have to say that with the included buds (it's got a mini-USB connection) the sound is surprisingly decent (warm and punchy). I have on occasions used the phone as my DAP as opposed to bringing along the iPod.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #82 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Treo 650 has pretty damn decent sound to me. Sounds better than my ASUS laptop with Intel HDA sound...tho, it could use just the smallest sound increase when using KSC75s -- outside especially.

I would imagine the Treo 680 for Cingular or soon-to-be-released-for-Sprint Treo 755p will have the same or better quality as well.

I believe the 650 is the only one that's locked to 2gb sd (last time I checked at least). Other Treos might require a hack, but getting an 8gb card working on there would be HOTTT. Why would someone wanna buy a Cowon D2 when they could have a Treo 755p & 8gb of memory???? Beats me.

I used the same setup like this. My Treo 650 with 2gb SD card and sound very satisfied. It's very easy for me to store up new music and take out which old. I use Real player and its sound volume is enough to hurt my ear. Sound quality is very decent for jazz vocal and japanese pop, not much for rock but it is not mean no fun to play for. I always take my phone with e5c or e500 to go around. Only thing that mater is you have to active player after take incoming phone cause the player is auto off.

Normally my treo battery can last for 3 days and with music it takes about 7-8hours to drain out but it is enough to home recharging time.
New treo 680 can take 4gb sd card and with new model treo can eat 8gb card. It sounds very good. I wonder how it works with 8gb
eggosmile.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9fly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Real player and its sound volume is enough to hurt my ear. . . I always take my phone with e5c or e500 to go around.

In-ear monitors will definitely sound louder than open cans, like the KSC75. I will never consider IEMs, tho...because the KSC75s are just too comfy for me, and when they have proper amplification, they can rock my friggin' socks off like no other cans can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9fly
Normally my treo battery can last for 3 days and with music it takes about 7-8hours to drain out but it is enough to home recharging time.

I'm fairly certain that with a new battery, I could have gotten at least 10hrs of music with the cellular radio on. My battery used to last for days too...but now that I'm out in the middle of nowhere, my phone uses a bit more juice to find a Sprint tower. I now have to recharge at least every other day. Or maybe it's just that I've had this phone for 2 1/2 years now, and I need to replace with an extended life battery. :wink: I love replaceable batteries...don't you?

Quote:

New treo 680 can take 4gb sd card and with new model treo can eat 8gb card. It sounds very good. I wonder how it works with 8gb
eggosmile.gif

Supposedly it works very well... I will not be upgrading my Treo until a couple months after Palm releases one with a newer Linux-based OS (which prolly won't be for another year or so I'm afraid, Palm just moves tooo slow). The hardware is great for me, but I am getting a bit tired of this ancient OS. It still gets the job done and all, but Palm has been teasing me with Cobalt and random Linux deals that I'm always led to believe my Holy Treo (not to be confused with the Holy Trinity) will be right around the corner, but oh well...

Did I tell you guys how much the Treo 650 rocks??

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #84 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Supposedly it works very well... I will not be upgrading my Treo until a couple months after Palm releases one with a newer Linux-based OS (which prolly won't be for another year or so I'm afraid, Palm just moves tooo slow). The hardware is great for me, but I am getting a bit tired of this ancient OS. It still gets the job done and all, but Palm has been teasing me with Cobalt and random Linux deals that I'm always led to believe my Holy Treo (not to be confused with the Holy Trinity) will be right around the corner, but oh well...

Did I tell you guys how much the Treo 650 rocks??

Me too, i'm waiting for new palm OS that they announced till this year end, if they not lied
wink.gif
. I'm playing with Cobalt simulating software for long time but this poor os was lost in the air. I stayed with my Treo for too long and thought that it's time for a new phone. My work on construction site is not convenient to bring all music rigs so i lay my rest with one IEM and the phone.

But Treo still get very good remarkable point for SQ and battery life out of its incredible supportive functions for daily work. Lets rock people
eggosmile.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #85 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9fly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too, i'm waiting for new palm OS that they announced till this year end, if they not lied
wink.gif

Honestly, I don't trust Palm anymore. First, we see PalmOne and PalmSource. They shipped Cobalt 6.0 to licensees in Jan 2004. They came out with 6.1, which I think they should have done more to get manufacturers behind it. Then PalmSource is auctioned up to ACCESS. ACCESS says ALP will be released by the end of '06...now it'll be released in summer of '06 (haha, ya right). Now Palm has their own Linux-based OS that they're building which should be released by the end of this year (again...haha, ya right). I'm just glad I bought my 650 when I did...'cause Palm definitely went down hill in terms of vision, support, etc... All I'm saying is when Apple & Google actually release some smartphones, Palm's stock price will plummet.

Quote:

But Treo still get very good remarkable point for SQ and battery life out of its incredible supportive functions for daily work.

No doubt... I'd really like to see someone come up with a phone that sounds better than this one, or other Treos for that matter.

Quote:

Lets rock people
eggosmile.gif

Word.

May 19, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #87 of 96
While my SE750i sounded ok, navigation was a pain, (no fwd/bck buttons) music transfers were painfully slow, and the supplied buds were dire. I bought a Portable handsfree HPM-82 for it so I could use other headphones and get better controls. But the huge cable was annoying. In the end I found it was just easier to use a decent Flash memory MP3 player.

I made the same points here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...56#post2967356

May 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #88 of 96
I think mp3 phones are horrid. My phone and my friend's are unlistenable. No detail, no bass, sounds muddy, noisy (hiss), cracks and pops and thats listening to it as a pcm WAV file. It would only be acceptable if you were like on the subway or in a noisy enviroment. But do not buy a cell phone to be used as a mp3 player. Just my 0.02

May 19, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #89 of 96
I previously used my S-E K750i and now my K800i as MP3 players. I also use an iRiver H120, an H140 and a Palm TX PDA to play music. I think the phones are fine. I of course don't use the supplied earbuds, as I don't use the iRiver ones (which MP3 players are supplied with good headphones?), but Sennheisers instead. I think the sound quality of the phone is good, and it has the added convenience that when one receives a phone call the transition from music to phone call is slick, and it automatically goes back to music when the phone call is over. In addition it has a radio which works well for a Walkman radio - all this: phone, MP3 player and radio in one device. (not to mention camera.) Nothing to complain about, certainly. Only a few years ago we couldn't even imagine such a device.

May 19, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #90 of 96
recently i've found myself using my nokia 3250 music phone as stop-gap solution until i get myself new ipods and its been fine driving sr80's, it has some nice features like soundstage extension and eax alike enviroment sound, more of a gimmick but adds to fun factor when listening on train or bus
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back