Celebral dominance and crossfeed
Jun 30, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #16 of 20
From my perspective people here get weird when crossfeed comes up.

Oh good grief! We don't mind crossfeed. It's just that you drag it back over and over again like a cat on the doorstep with a dead mouse in his mouth.

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #17 of 20
Oh good grief! We don't mind crossfeed. It's just that you drag it back over and over again like a cat on the doorstep with a dead mouse in his mouth.

Maybe, but at least crossfeed is strongly related to headphone listening unlike the speakers you like to talk about all the time! What you do is efectively the same as if someone in a home theatre forum keep telling other: "Movies are better in movie theatres!" Yeah, but what if you want to watch movies home? What if you want to use headphones instead of speakers to allow your neighbours sleep in silence? Is this a headphone forum or a speaker forum?

Jul 1, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 20
Yes, things have changed a little in recent years. The theory of “cerebral dominance” has fallen out of favor. Brain processing in the cerebral cortex is now thought to be more balanced and nuanced and flexible than that theory would predict. Some of that theory’s predictions have proven untrue. It is now referenced in the modern conception as lateralization of brain function. Unfortunately the Internet is littered with bad info and outdated writings and popularized trash on the subject. After that things get over my head pretty fast and I start not knowing what I am talking about, but I do know that much. But you can find information on this by Googling, if you look in the right places. You can read the academic article @SoundAndMotion referenced and I linked to in a post above to get an idea of the complexity and a feeling for the more modern view.

And to get your feet wet here’s a relatively (too) simplistic article I found that tries to convey the modern view and what the theory of cerebral dominance got wrong:

https://www.healthline.com/health/left-brain-vs-right-brain

The theory of “cerebral dominance” has been debunked? That's a plot twist I didn't anticipate! Thanks for the link. I need to check it out...

Jul 1, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 20
The theory of “cerebral dominance” has been debunked? That's a plot twist I didn't anticipate! Thanks for the link. I need to check it out...

If you want to get past the simple explanations, here's the study from 2013 that as I understand it was the foundation of taking down the theory of cerebral dominance. The cool thing about it is, if it's not too much work to get through for someone, it will actually give you recently developed insights into how your brain works, like, for real:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0071275

Here are the questions they wanted to investigate:

Does functional connectivity lateralization reflect structural asymmetry or does it represent a lateralized difference in the strength of synaptic connections? Does a whole-brain phenotype of relatively greater “left-brain” or “right-brain” functional specialization across individuals exist, or are lateralized connections in different brain networks independent of each other within an individual? Are these connectivity patterns modified with age, as the brain matures into an adult phenotype?

Here's the concluding paragraph, which I guess goes "boom" in science speak:

Despite the need for further study of the relationship between behavior and lateralized connectivity, we demonstrate that left- and right-lateralized networks are homogeneously stronger among a constellation of hubs in the left and right hemispheres, but that such connections do not result in a subject-specific global brain lateralization difference that favors one network over the other (i.e. left-brained or right-brained). Rather, lateralized brain networks appear to show local correlation across subjects with only weak changes from childhood into early adulthood and very small if any differences with gender.

To me, how much impact crossfeed would have on people's perception of music is a truly interesting question. However, without much effort, a careful listener can come up with pros and cons, and different people have different preferences, so it's best not to be dogmatic about it, but I must admit I am curious about it. As I say, I like it, but any theory as to its impact on brain functioning while listening to music would be extremely difficult to test and would present an extremely complicated question, and, in the end, it is not of particularly great import, so it's very likely that no one will take the time, effort, and money required to figure it out. And after reading the journal article I think it is very likely that any effect crossfeed has on brain function could be substantially different for different people. So to the extent a few of us are curious we will probably just be left guessing and wondering.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 20
1. It is an acoustics textbook* used in my acoustics 101 course. Are you suggesting the textbook is rubbish? Rossing does not talk about crossfeed here, but I came up with the connection myself and that's why I created this thread. I have this kind of thoughts. Am I supposed to keep them to myself or share with other on boards like this?

2. I have asperger. I don't understand or care about concepts like "community-minded feel." I have things to say and I say them. That's it.

3. Headphone listening creates excessive spatiality compared to speakers to which the recordings are mixed for. Saying headphone spatiality isn't excessive or wrong is like saying 3 is not more than 2. Sure, newer recordings are often better suitable for headphones (pop producers know to mix bass mono etc.), but that just means newer recordings need less crossfeed or no crossfeed at all. Old recordings are what they are and they often need tons of crossfeed.

Sure you CAN listen to headphones without crossfeed (as I did up until 2012 when I finally realized the problem of excessive headphone spatiality myself) and even like it (I didn't hate or like it because I didn't know there's something better), but science says it's wrong and in 2012 my head finally connected the dots. A lot of people like smoking, but science says smoking is bad for you. I emphasize science, because in my case science made my discover and try crossfeed. I had the scientific knowledge in my head for years, but I never applied the knowledge to headphone listening until winter 2012 when for whatever reason the dots got connected. People who have tried crossfeed as a gimmick without scientifuc motivation maybe don't realize how much science supports crossfeed.

Everyone here seems to have tried crossfeed decades ago. I am the slow one here. I was into speakers and thought headphones are so straightforward there is nothing to them. You just put them to your head and start listening. No room acoustics/speaker placing/radiation patters/power responses and all that complex stuff we have with speakers. Turned out, headphones are much more complex than I thought.

1- I can't judge a 680 page book from 3 paragraphs. As for the 3 paragraphs, I wouldn't call them "rubbish"; I'd say "flawed" - it has errors and dated info (as @Steve999 discusses nicely). Personally, I like reading about your thoughts.... I don't like the repetitive cramming opinions as the only right way down my throat.

2- I understand. You've shared that aspect, as well as other very personal info with strangers on this forum. The issue is "that's NOT it". You care very much about what people think and how your ideas are received. You sought validation from this forum, which as others (with mixed ability to be sensitive) have pointed out, is a BAD idea. I cannot address how you view "community-mindedness", but I can give you a hint about how the community views the style you use to express your opinions. It didn't and won't work out the way you wish.
Even if "community-mindedness" means nothing to you, maybe you can learn to fake it: Present your knowledge. Present your opinions, as opinions, not irrefutable facts. Accept other opinions.

3. Repeating the crossfeed thread here won't get a different result...

Good luck! And best wishes, SAM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back