cec tl-51z first impressions
Dec 5, 2005 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

woodcans

Headphoneus Supremus
After hearing what great things sacd lover's E5 did for my dac1 as a transport, I have been looking for a new transport to replace my relatively inexpensive marantz cd5400. I was almost ready to order the E5 when I came across a cec tl-51z used on audiogon. The idea of a belt driven top loader was just too sexy and I was unable to resist.

Build quality of this unit is top notch. Having lifted both, I find it to be on par with the E5 in terms of weight, it is very heavy.The plastic sliding cover slides open and closed with a smooth motion. The disc holder that is placed on top of the cd to keep it in place is heavier than I expected as well. With the disc holder in place the cd sits securely.

The front face plate has a simple layout with a power button on the far left. The data display appears somewhat dated as it uses the older, now rarely seen low level whitish digits w/ a hint of a light blue hue. Under the display are 6 buttons: stop, play/pause, next track, etc.

I connected it to my EA modded dac1 w/ the cardas digital cable and began listening. I used DMBs well-recorded Stand Up for most of the direct comparison as well as various other familiar discs for some longer listening sessions. It did not take long for me to realize that the sound with the cec was superior to the marantz. The first improvement was in instrumental focus - they seemed to be much better localized in space, as if I could point my finger directly from where the guitar was being strummed or the drum being struck. The very lowest octaves of bass are also much deeper with sharper impact. Low level detail seems improved as well. Background percussion now seems part of the music instead of something I heard back there but wasn't quite sure what it was. Finally, the tonality of strings is more fluid and more natural sounding, more pleasing.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it as a transport. I was initially a bit worried if it would be a noticable improvement or not. It definitely is. But how it compares to the E5, I'll just have to wait 'til the next Ohio meet.

Coming soon...performance as a standalone cdp as well as comparison to EA dac1.

Here are a couple of pics. My digicam is no longer funtional, so these will have to do for the meantime:

tl51z_front.jpg

tl51z_rear.jpg

Dec 5, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 2
Nice.... CEC makes excellent transports.
cool.gif

I have always been intrigued by the belt driven types too. Do make sure you bring this player down to the next Ohio meet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back