CEC HD53r v8 or yamamoto ha-02
Oct 23, 2008 at 1:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

coleman22

New Head-Fier
I am new to the headphone thing, but I know enough to know these are very different amps. I have an opportunity to buy the cec amp at a good price and am considering it, but I tend to get upgraditis easily and would probably be itching to hear the yamamoto to see what I am missing.
Has anyone out there heard these two amps. I like my music to be non fatiguing, smooth, dynamic and above all else emotionally engaging.
I have considered pairing the cec with akg k701 and would probably go with the AT w1000 with the yammy.
I am hoping someone out there can help me decide if it is worth it to wait, save my money and get the yammy if it is in fact light years better than the cec.
cheers
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I am listening to the Yammy - W1000 combination right now and just love it. Happily, I often get to use my cans for hours a day while working and I have never felt that this combination was fatiguing in any way. The cans fit me nicely and the amp drives them easily and I am always pleased with the combination.

I have tried the K701 headphones with a few different amps and, for me, they don't work. They do have a pretty enthusiastic following so if you like them then you will have lots of company.

Have you had a chance to give the K701s an extended audition? After about 10 minutes they were way too uncomfortable on my head (again, lots of people love their fit).

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 5
whaleyboy,
have you tried any other cans for the yammy. I see alot of people using ultrasone ed9 and the at-w5000. ever heard these on the ha-02.
it might be hard finding people who have heard the cec and the yamamoto to compare them but thought I might try.
thanks
Coleman

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by coleman22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whaleyboy,
have you tried any other cans for the yammy. I see alot of people using ultrasone ed9 and the at-w5000. ever heard these on the ha-02.
it might be hard finding people who have heard the cec and the yamamoto to compare them but thought I might try.
thanks
Coleman

Yes, I use my AD2000s extensively and love them on that amp as well.

I tried my HD650s on the Yamamoto amp and did not like them anywhere near as much as I do with my other amp.

The Ed 9 and W5000 are on my maybe list. Sorry that I can't help more, there.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:12 AM Post #5 of 5
I own the Yamamoto amp my self, and it is a wonderful match with Grado and Audio technica. Maybe because they are in the 30-50 ohm range? I don´t know, but the K701 and HD650 did not strike me, as anything special on this amp.
I believe the CEC is a transistorbased constuction. Not sure though, but maybe that is a better match with the AKG and Sennheiser. Or maybe I just don´t like the soundsignature of those phones. Surely it has more "grunt" than the Yamamoto anyway.
It´s all about system matching, synergi, and personal preferences. So listening to a system, is the only way to determine, whether it is any good or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back