CD's you can listen all the way through?
Jul 17, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Massive Attack - any CD
Orbital - all their CDs except The Altogether
Portishead - Dummy, Portishead
Thievery Corporation - any CD
Zero 7 - Simple Things, When It Falls

God I just don't get Thievery Corporation, one of the worst groups I have ever heard, just dead boring musak, every last track.

I love Trip-Hop but to me TC isn't even Trip-hop, it is like smooth jazz.

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #77 of 89
Edit double post.

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:13 PM Post #78 of 89
Out the top of my head, these albums make me feel like no other.

Massive Attack - Mezzanie

my most played album in my entire music listening life. Dunno what it is, but to this day the album still sounds fresh. Dark, moody, trippy as ever. One of the best I've heard in the trip-hop genre. All their other albums are great as well but this one tops them all.

Nitin Sawhney - Beyound Skin/Prophesy

Nitin's music has so much emotion in it and intensity that it gets overwhelming at certain points - in a good way. Man's a musical genius who plays countless number of instruments, composes and writes writes.

Leftfield - Leftism

This album got me into electronic music.

Hernan Catteneo - Renaissance Masters Series I/II

Deep progressive house like no other. My mind and thoughts just travel through the farthest reaches of my imaginaton with these mixes. Hernan is a master at mixing tracks seemlessly and track selection. Key album that got me into progressive house music.

A. R. Rahman - Dil Se (Indian Bollywood movie soundtrack)

A. R. Rahman one of the best composers in India produced a musical score that is nothing but outstanding in all ways. Great album.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #79 of 89
I usually listen to one album (or at least half of an album) in one go. Most non-pop album are meant to be enjoyed in their entirety.

So let's up the ante: is there any multi-disc sets that you just got to listen all the way through? I can't think of many, except some operas, symphonies and classical suites. Steve Roach's Dreamtime Return and Jeff Greinke's Cities in Fog are close calls, but that very much depends on my mood.

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #80 of 89
Droney stuff seems to hold my attention (in a way) the longest. Anything by:

Sunroof!
Vibracathedral Orchestra
Charalambides
Lau Nau
LSD March
My Cat Is An Alien
Mouthus
Religious Knives
Double Leopards
Wooden Wand
Brothers of the Occult Sisterhood
Om
Six Organs of Admittance
Steven R. Smith
Bird Show
Burning Star Core

before I know it, those albums are over

Jul 17, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #81 of 89
I think a better question would be "which albums do you feel compelled to listen to all the way through once you start them?"

Sure, there's plenty of albums in my collection I can listen to from front to back but there are only a couple that demand that I do so even if I never meant to in the first place! Do you follow what I'm saying?

Pink Floyd albums are great examples. To skip a track or eject the CD before the end seems sacrilegious somehow. They have a way of turning into private listening rituals because even if you don't want to listen to the whole thing, it's as if there's some kind of supernatural force preventing your hand from straying towards the remote.

Call me crazy but these days I actually avoid touching my PF albums for this reason!
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #82 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
God I just don't get Thievery Corporation, one of the worst groups I have ever heard, just dead boring musak, every last track.

I love Trip-Hop but to me TC isn't even Trip-hop, it is like smooth jazz.

Well, to each his own. That's exactly the reason why I like them! Listening to their CDs is like listening to a radio station broadcasting from the equator.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #83 of 89
So many Pink Floyd responses. One of these days I'm going to have to sit down and listen to one of their albums (If I've even heard a Pink Floyd song I didn't know it was them.)

I've been big into playlists and compilations for the last several months, but a few albums I make it a point to listen to front to back these days are:

Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Sloan - One Chord To Another
Pinback - Summer in Abaddon

Jul 19, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #84 of 89
I listen to CDs from start to finish. I have found soemthing unusual with myself. The song the usually grabs my attention on new CDs is usually the one I tire of the quickest. I tend to appreciate the stuff that takes several listens to digest. I have recognized that and will always listen to whole albums based on my general mood.
rs1smile.gif
(cant help the smiley)

Jul 19, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #85 of 89
dark side of the moon
sgt pepper's lonely hearts club band
a day at the races
innuendo
silent alarm
wet from birth
hybrid theory
american idiot
bullet in a bible
demon days
funeral

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #86 of 89
Tommy - The Who
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Srgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
The Wall (both discs) - Pink Floyd
Achtung Baby - U2
Quadrophenia - The Who
90125 - Yes
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Frampton Comes Alive - Peter Frampton

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:21 PM Post #87 of 89
Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
Alan Parsons Project: Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Alan Poe, Turn of a Friendly Card
Albet Collins: Ice Pickin', his live album from Japan
Alice in Chains: SAP, Jar of Flies, s/t, Dirt, Unplugged
The Beatles: Sgt. Pepper, Let It Be, Abbey Road
Black Sabbath: s/t, Paranoid
Deep Purple: Made in Japan
EL&P: s/t, Brain Salad Surgery, Pictures at an Exhibition, Tarkus
Faith No More: The Real Thing, Angel Dust, Album of the Year
Ian Moore: Modernday Folklore
Jethro Tull: Aqualung, Stand Up, Benefit, Thick as a Brick, Passion Play, Songs from the Wood
Melissa Etheridge: s/t
Metallica: black album, Load
Mr. Bungle: s/t
Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral, The Fragile
Ozzy Ozbourne: Blizzard of Ozz, No More Tears, Ozzmosis, Live & Loud
Pearl Jam: Ten
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, The Final Cut, The Division Bell, Animals
Queensryche: The Warning, Rage for Order, Operation: Mindcrime, Empire, Promised Land
Rainbow: s/t, Rising
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Sigur Ros: Takk..., ( )
Soundgarden: Badmotofinger, Superunknown
Tool: Undertow, Lateralus

That's from perusing my DAP and off the top of my head (I can't do a full list because all the ripped music wnt *poof* when the power went out a few days ago--freakin' Murphy nosin' into my business!). Some shows gaping holes in my collection, but OTOH, I have and can't listen all the way through many albums in this thread so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by miTunes75
dang!!!

what is it with pink floyd's dsotm!!! I've listened to it a few times and it's okay.... but... it's not something i'd listen to all the time.

what in the heck am i missing?

Nothing. I don't get it, either. I prefer listening to Animals all the time.
blink.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #88 of 89
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Metallica (The Black Album)
N.W.A. - Straight Outa Compton
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Sublime - all
Harvey Danger - Little by Little
Vivaldi's Four Seasons (Canadian Brass version FTW!)
3 Doors Down - all
Green Day - American Idiot
RATM - all
Weezer - Maladroit, Pinkerton, The Blue Album, The Green Album
The Offspring - Ignition
Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Ozz, Bark at the Moon, Tribute
Joe Satriani - Flying in a Blue Dream
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarian's, I'm the Supervisor
Smile Empty Soul - Smile Empty Soul
Godsmack - Godsmack

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #89 of 89
neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea
any jazz/post-rock <--Godspeed (as others have mentioned)
most electronic

nmh is the only one of my very large collection of genres with lyrics where i feel absolutely no motive to change a song. I absolutely adore VM's Moondance but damn near always skip Brand New Day. I never really thought about this before but have now realized that, for some reason, words or no words have a lot to do with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back