cds via computer or cd player?
Dec 23, 2006 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ca911

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone,

Quick question. Is there any sound quality lost when I play my cds through my computer (Macbook Pro) via itunes and listen to them on my HD650s w/Total Bithead vs if i were to use a regular cd player as the source?

Since the thing I am learning with this hobby is that every little thing can affect sound quality, I was wondering if this affects it in any way?

I don't actually have a real cd player or anything so if I were to get an improvement by using a pure cd player I would need a recommendation for what the best/most inexpensive one would be (in a portable/walkman style)..

Thanks!!

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 3
If you are using the Bithead with the USB, so that you are using its internal DAC and bypassing the computer completely, then you should be set. It's possible that a really nice CD player could sound better (probably not a portable), but it's not worth buying one and trying. The bithead is a great sounding source IME. In fact, I ran my speakers off a Total Bithead for a while, and it sounded fine.

You shouldn't actually play the CDs in your computer, you should rip them and play them off the harddrive. If you compress them, make sure to use a good codec and a healthy bitrate, or a lossless codec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back