CDRom
May 8, 2003 at 7:11 AM Post #2 of 11
Difficult - as internal pc drives usually use a digital out with TTL levels, you'd need some conversion to regular S/P-DIF...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 8, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 11
Check this link out. It's info on the NEC MultiSpin 6Xe external CD-Rom drive (CDR-602). It has a digital coaxial RCA output. I'm try to get my hands on one off ebay, as my Optimus CD-3400's motor (or motor IC) died. Sucks.
frown.gif

Positive Feedback CD-Rom Transport Article

May 8, 2003 at 1:48 PM Post #4 of 11
The NEC Multispin 6Xe is an external drive that has both audio and S/PDIF outputs. The audio outputs are surprisingly good, although they'll never get mistaken for an audiophile grade redbook player (hmmm...or will they?
very_evil_smiley.gif
). I use an NEC driving an ART DI/O as an alternate source.

I've been known to use the NEC into a Monarchy DIP into a GW Labs DSP/upsampler and finally into the DI/O. A four box source before I even get to the amp
eek.gif
Now if I use a Musical Fidelity X10-D tube buffer and TDS Passive Audiophile on the analog side of the DI/O, I may be getting close to a record for the most convoluted source chain I can think of...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 8, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I've been known to use the NEC into a Monarchy DIP into a GW Labs DSP/upsampler and finally into the DI/O. A four box source before I even get to the amp
eek.gif
Now if I use a Musical Fidelity X10-D tube buffer and TDS Passive Audiophile on the analog side of the DI/O, I may be getting close to a record for the most convoluted source chain I can think of...
very_evil_smiley.gif

You're not alone! I've been using the NEC with my modified MSB Link II.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Drawbacks: Having to use caddys and no remote. But for a bedside setup, I like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2003 at 4:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by kfaiman
Check this link out. It's info on the NEC MultiSpin 6Xe external CD-Rom drive (CDR-602). It has a digital coaxial RCA output. I'm try to get my hands on one off ebay, as my Optimus CD-3400's motor (or motor IC) died. Sucks.
frown.gif

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about your Optimus CD-3400.
frown.gif

But I do believe you'll find the NEC cdrom to be a significant upgrade, when feeding a decent DAC.

If I may make a suggestion, system_electronics would be good place to buy one from. From personal experience, their customer service is exemplary.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ory=33871&rd=1

Good luck!

May 12, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 11
puppyslugg,

Thanks for the link. I noticed their ebay ads before, but I wasn't happy about the $15 shipping charge. I might just go w/ them, as I have yet to see a cheaper unit on ebay that includes the disc caddy. And I can't go much longer without my trusty DI/O...

May 13, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 11
Hirsch, lini:

I have an old NEC CDR-512 6x SCSI CD-ROM drive. I believe it's from the same generation as the Multispin series (it uses caddy and all), but it has the generic 2 pin digital out connector. Do either of you (or anyone else) know if this would work as a transport? I have an old 2-pin to SPDIF connector from my old SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold that I could connect to the drive. Thanks for your opinions.

May 13, 2003 at 10:27 PM Post #11 of 11
laevi: If you use a soundcard as loop-through, it will work. For standalone use, you'll run into the TTL level problem - but I guess there should be some simple converter circuitry floating around on the web...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back