CDP with Digital inputs or DAC... help me!
Feb 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright guys... this is what I have come down to after several weeks researching on the 'net. As most of you know, I am after a DAC for my FLACs (from SB3) first and foremost, BUT I would also like to have something that works as a CDP if possible as I foresee myself getting more and more CDs (and possibly SACD if I get the right unit).

So here are the contenders:
1. Cary Audio 303/200 (CDP + DAC) - clean and quick way to getting into the CDP market and a good DAC built in also. About $1300 on 'gon vs $2K new.
1034032982.jpg

2. Cary Audio 306/200 (CDP + DAC) - robust build quality, great reviews, probably comparable to some of the better CDPs out there from Ayre and Esoteric. About $2000 on 'gon vs $5K new.
cary.jpg

3. Cary Audio 306/300 aka 306-SACD (SACD + DAC) - hailed by many as the second coming, so much good reviews about this CDP on the internet. Looks killer also in the full aluminum chassis, makes the other two look cheap. Expensive, at about $3800 on 'gon vs $6K new.
306a.jpg

cary306.jpg

4. PS Audio Digital Link III (DAC only) - new and hyped up. Not sure how it compares to the others that have been here for some time now. About $695 from my friend MLS vs $1K retail.
417_1.jpg

417_7.jpg

Those are pretty much the four choices I'm looking at. I am going to try to audition the PS Audio here at home and see what it brings me. However, the 306/200 looks to be the best buy of the 4 seeing how it has such an awesome following and a great topology to boot. The 306-SACD seems to be the splurge it all unit for me... not sure if I really want to eat Ramen again. The Cary 303/200 seems to be the other best buy as it gets me to a good CDP and DAC combo. The PS Audio is the cheapest and easiest hit to take.

I've looked at several other CDPs, from the Levinsons to the Esoterics and the Sim Audios... but these Carys (atleast the 306/200 and 306-SACD) seem to get all the raves right now... along with the Ayre C5xe and the Meridian 808 (oh god.... what a monster).

Not sure what to do... still mulling it over, but I would really appreciate some feedback from all you guys. So, bottomline, if any of you guys have heard these things, let me know. I would like to spend as little as possible but still draw a smile on my face each time I listen. IF I need to spend more than I have to, I will. But I'd really really rather not. The cheaper the better for me.

Thanks guys for bearing with me!

Joey

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 9
Oh, btw, the most important feature of playback reproduction for me is weight. I want the images to be solid and not-see-through-airy. I want tight and weighty vocals. I want it to sound real.

Thanks guys!

Joey

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 9
What about these:

CDPs with digital in:

Resolution Opus 21
Wadia 302 (not sure if 301, 830, etc. have digital ins, but they might)
Cambridge Azur 840C
Quad 99-CDP2
Audio Aero Capitole (for a splurge)

Feb 16, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrgeoffrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you've done your research, but have you considered the Transporter? I got one three weeks ago and it was good enough to sell my Sonic Frontiers Line 2 preamp and I'm actually thinking of selling my Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1 to finance another one. Just a thought.

Thought of the Transporter, but would rather have something that is a CDP rather than just purely a DAC or DAC+digital server. Thanks though.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 9
Come on guys... I refuse to believe that no one has any opinions on the above. From what I see, there are lots here who have the Cary 306/200 and the others of the Cary line up. Speak up guys....

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, btw, the most important feature of playback reproduction for me is weight. I want the images to be solid and not-see-through-airy. I want tight and weighty vocals. I want it to sound real.

Thanks guys!

Joey

Then you picked the right brand with Cary. 306SACD, 306/200, and 303/300 (solid state output) all have that dense, rock-solid, weight to the midrange/bass. 303/200 doesn't have as beefy PS or as weighty sound. 303/300 unfortunately lacks a digital input
frown.gif

Of these, I think 306/200 is the best value in the used market, but 306SACD sure sounds WUNderful and has SACD capability.

Players that have the anti-Cary sound you don't like, i.e. airy fairy sound include Opus21, Electrocompaniet, Perpetual Tech, etc.

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks guys!

Joey

heh..sounds like you need some SET in your life
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh..sounds like you need some SET in your life
biggrin.gif

That's what I'm thinking too..

Looking at the Cary 805 monoblocks and stuff... may have to replace the Plinius later this year. I think I will stick with the 306/200.. saves me some cash that I could use for a move to the 805s from the Plinius if I so desire.

This is painful man....

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back