CDP w/good transport for $500 or less?
Nov 17, 2004 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a CDP to pair with my DT880s and CMOY. Obviously, I want something as inexpensive as possible, but I also don't want a source that will quickly become the "weakest link" in the wake of imminent amp upgrades. I plan to keep the DT880s for quite a while, but I'm going to replace the CMOY as soon as possible after getting a new source.

I'm guessing that the best option is to get a CDP with which I can eventually use an outboard DAC. The transport is key, but I'd also like something that would be a good match in the mean time for the DT880s and a PIMETA/PPA/some other DIY amp in the $150-$300 range. Recommendations?

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 6
My choose would probably be a Shanling s100 / Music Hall cd 25 ( they are the same identical unit under different labels )
You can find lots of reviews on the web , it's a good musical player with very good prat and hdcd decoding capability and modding it is easy too.

Edit: the shanling s100 should also have a reliable and good transport ( a philips unit )

Nov 19, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 6
I'll second Boodi's recommendation! I own the Music Hall and it is Fantastic! Very musical, excellent midrange, very sturdy, I love music again. You could check with www.responseaudio.com and Bill Baker. He's carried the Music Hall and in fact created a modified version with tube output. He's going to be carrying the Usher (again the same unit as Shanling and Music Hall). You can check his discussion site at www.audiocircle.com.

marty

Nov 19, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I'll third the reco for the MH. You can have it all without the need for an outboard DAC if you get the MH modified in the future. Right off the bat, you can swap out the opamps by yourself because they're socketed. The tube mods are one option. I'll give a plug for Head-Fi sponsor Sound Odyssey who can put in a Zap Filter to make it a real contender. I know I love mine.

Nov 19, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 6
In a few months, there will be a cheaper way to get a MH CD-25 as AV123 will be selling them under their name and the model number XCD-88 for $400 new ($300 for existing customers). I'm looking at picking one up when they come out. They said they will also be doing their own mod service for them (under warranty), but there are almost no details on what those mods will include.

http://forum.av123.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5494

Nov 19, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back