CDP as source, or transport?
Mar 2, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have a sony DVD player being used as a transport to my DAC. I am wondering if I would be better off selling the two, and getting a dedicated CDP with line-out instead. I am looking at around $200 to spend on one, but less is always good.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 25
That's a very limited budget for a CD player. I'd just keep what you have and save up.

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you can find a (used?) NAD C542 for that kind of money, which is excellent value.

But would that be a real improvement over the DVD player feeding the Zhaolu?

I've never heard one, but with the respect that the Zhaolu gets around here...well, maybe not?

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #7 of 25
For $400 you have plenty to choose from (some used)
Cambridge Azur 640c, Nad C542 (One on FS forum now), ....and Music Hall CD25.2. : p

I'm not sure how good are the transports of these CD players, but by themselves they are decent sources (from reviews).

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 25
I quote from the site of NAD:
Quote:

Unusually at this price point, the coaxial output is buffered and isolated by a transformer from the converter itself and the output impedance has been carefully tailored to produce a precise 75 ohms impedance to ensure perfect matching. This attention to detail reduces the timing errors (jitter) that could otherwise distort the digital data stream.

So, the coaxial output of the C542 is supposed to be quite good. This doesn't say much about the rest of the transport, but I think it's okay. I'm of the "digital is digital" type anyway, which means I don't believe much in differences between transports, although I do think less error correction can be beneficial.

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 25
The whole point of this thread is to find out this:

Is is a better deal to get a CDP with a built in DAC, or use a cheap CDP as a transport to a DAC.

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Is is a better deal to get a CDP with a built in DAC, or use a cheap CDP as a transport to a DAC.

I think that the CDP as transport is indeed cheaper and I don't think it will be cheap to get a dedicated CDP which is clearly better than what you've got now. The only good option, as it always is I'm afraid, is to try. (meets, shops which are willing to lend you a product for a certain period of time)

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you spend a lot of money on a CDP, and it dies, you're up the creek w/o a paddle, unless the CDP has both digital inputs and outputs. I'm sure that's rare. I once took the route of an expensive CDP, and it died, and I took the loss on the chin.

My current strategy is to find a DAC I like [I think a DAC, like a preamp, will last a long time] and use any CD or DVD player for a transport [viewing the transport as a disposable, like brake shoes on a car]. My current transport is a Toshiba DVDP which will not longer play DVD's. I'm sure I will have an endless supply of such units, and in fact, I have three in my possession.

The cost:
DAC/about $70 on eBay - some luck there [Sony ES]
transport/$15 at a flea market

The sound:
wonderful!

Joe, if you want to get together and compare CDP's/DAC's/Transports, drop me a PM.

Laz

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 25
I have decided to keep my current setup, but I think I am going to get a different DAC with more input and output options.

Thanks for all of the input.

Mar 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 25
One thing you might want to consider is to look for older models on ebay that often go for ridiculously cheap.

I just got a Cambridge Audio CD4SE an it is by far the best and most musical piece of equipment I've ever heard... and I paid less than $150 for it. Frankly, I'm blown away by it

Also keep a lookout for the CD6, D500, and D500SE which have all gotten excellent reviews and go for cheap.

Just a suggestion. Good luck

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing you might want to consider is to look for older models on ebay that often go for ridiculously cheap.

I just got a Cambridge Audio CD4SE an it is by far the best and most musical piece of equipment I've ever heard... and I paid less than $150 for it. Frankly, I'm blown away by it

Also keep a lookout for the CD6, D500, and D500SE which have all gotten excellent reviews and go for cheap.

Just a suggestion. Good luck

That seem like a good suggestion to me!
I bought a CD6 for 300$ some time ago and it have been a revelation to me!
I use to think that any cheap CD player as transport would sound the same, but that ain't the case at all.
With my Lavry DA10 i discover a world of details and got deeper bass response by changing my transport.
So i think that you should look for good transport as it is important in the process.
Also look for oldies they are still fabulous.

Luidge

Mar 5, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by zillac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For $400 you have plenty to choose from (some used)
Cambridge Azur 640c, Nad C542 (One on FS forum now), ....and Music Hall CD25.2. : p

I'm not sure how good are the transports of these CD players, but by themselves they are decent sources (from reviews).

Good options.AudioGon is your friend OP.Save up a few hundred more,and start looking around.I picked up my Solo NOS for cheap from a dealer that just wanted to clear out for new gear,same with my speakers.Saved a fortune buying 'lightly' used stuff,or NOS/firesale type.

There is a guy here locally selling a whole NAD system thats only 3 years old ,in very good condish,for 900 bucks,original MSRP was over 4k.Some people need cash bad,and have nice toys that they'll part with in a hurry for nothing or close to it.

AudioGON is a testament to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back