CDnow's Amazon Takeover RANT
Dec 22, 2002 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DeeJayBump

500+ Head-Fier
CD now has gone to ****. Excuse the language. I used to use CDnow as a source of both discography and track listing info. Now that Amazon has taken over their web-interface, I can't find a damn thing.

When you search for a particular artist, there appears to be no way to list that artist's discography anymore.

Why on earth do these fools think that those of us on the net will put up with this garbage? This sucks, and if I used the language to properly convey my disdain for it, I'm sure I would be barred fast, quick and in a hurry from these forums.

Does anyone else have an online music site that is still easy to navigate and that will list artist discographies without having to provide DNA samples, ballistic fingerprints and complete family histories to do so?

Ahhhhhhhhh, I thought I was over my anger, but I guess not.

Arrrgh. Damn you to hell CDnow.

Dec 23, 2002 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 16
I'm am soo with you on this one.. CDNow (although somewhat overpriced on some items and very commercialized) was a decent resource for me.. it listed albums, tracks, etc with a good oragnization that was easy to understand and use. Now that Amazon.com has taken them over, there's WAY less information that much harder to get it.. on the bright side we get suggestions for 5,000 products that we might want possibly purchase with any cd we look up, how "helpful".. asses
very_evil_smiley.gif

-dd3mon

Dec 23, 2002 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 16
I really miss the biographies.
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2002 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 16
i hate that cdnow was so great with separating rare items i.e. imports, singles, import singles, etc.

i was trying to find info on an oop smashing pumpkins single last night and couldn't find anything. had to use spfc.org instead.

Dec 23, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 16
BlindSeer--

Thanks for that Allmusic link. Unless AOL or Amazon buys them out and mucks them up, too, that solves my problem. That page is a great source of information.

Thanks.

Dec 23, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #7 of 16
Wow.. Allmusic seems to have alot more information than even CDNow used to, great link BlindSeer! Just need to get used to their organization style..

-dd3mon

Dec 28, 2002 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 16
Tower Music seems to have less information lately but for sound clips still can't be beat . Good selection , reasoable pricing , shipping rates good .
Still where the rickmonster makes his online CD purchases for the hard to find.

I shop locally for the easy , prices suck though . Just more convenient .
Kinda like paying $1 for a diode at Radio Shack when the same part is $0.07 online. But when you gotta have it.........

Dec 28, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Best source of info is certainly allmusic.com

Best prices are probably at cheap-cds.com

I've bought a number of CDs at this site and the service has been excellent.

Dec 31, 2002 at 5:12 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm with rick, tower all the way for on-line, though I've been liking half.com a *lot* lately..........though selection is often limited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back