CD3k
Jun 30, 2005 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I have been gone from headfi for about 6 months, but only after purchasing some SR225s, and HD 580s as well as a headsave classic. Lately I'm listening to just as much music (a mix of metal and classical still), but I'm getting more and more heavily into gaming. I work in libraries (though they are loud, so open isn't a problem even with the SR225s). I am, however, getting a bit sick of lugging 2 sets of cans and my amp everywhere. Would moving up to the CD3ks be a nice consolidation? I listen quite heavely to both metal, and classical, which is why I have the two different sets, and would rather not sacrifice either genre. I remember reading that the CD3ks had a massive sound stage (perhaps even artificial), and that if someone were crazy enough to get them for gaming they would even surpass the great A900s. Although I am playing competitively right now, music is still my priority, and if having 2 cans for 2 genres is better I will stay with that. Also, how much amplification will I need? I figure I should be able to trade my grados, and Senns for a used CD3k. WIll the Classic cover the sonys? Thanks a ton everyone. My aim is to get some info get some new cans, and get off this site again. I was on my way to a $500 sorce, and $200 sound card when last I left. I just can't afford to be an audiophile.

Target

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:46 PM Post #2 of 5
Basically I'm just looking to know if the sonys can handle classical as well as the HD 580s, and rock as well as the SR 225s. Has anyone heard all 3, and have some impressions?

Target

Jun 30, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't believe there is going to be an answer to your question. The sony are a great headphone but don't have a grado sound. And either do they have Sennheiser sound. I would almost think you would prefer a RS-1 or a HD650. Then you know that going to get a certain sound you like. You could get SA5000s but that is going to be more money.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Target1 - I think the CD3000's are very good for classical music, blues, jazz, etc.. I don't listen to metal, so have no opinion there. Also, though I have several Senn headphones, I do not have the HD580s, and I don't have any Grado phones so, again, I can't say whether the Sony's will be as good or better, to your tastes.

One thing you should be aware of is that the CD3000s are pretty big.....most of us don't wear ours in public! If having people stare at you and maybe laugh doesn't bother you, than go for 'em!

Holly
3000smile.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 5
well, when I had the CD3k it stunk as a gaming can due to the lack of bass. i bought a EQ off of ebay to bump the bass up, after which it was acceptable- but hey a can that pricey shouldn't have to rely on EQ imho!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back