CD3000's have ruined my E5 experience
May 19, 2004 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Shurenuff

100+ Head-Fier
Let me first start by saying that I used to be 100% content with my E5's. It's just that something has changed. Let me explain. I previously had E3's before my E5's. I had to upgrade because I needed better bass response. The E5's and the E3's share a very similar house sound, laid back and smooth. I was very happy with my E5's until recently. I purchased a set of Sony CD3000's which I absolutely love. Huge soundstage and very detailed and exciting. I've been listening to them much more than the E5's. However, when I do listen to my E5's (in portable situations with my iPod), I now find that laid back and smooth sound to sound veiled and unclear (E3's and E5's are very similar in this regard, as previously mentioned). Going from the CD3000's to the E5's is just too drastic of a change in sound. If I give myself time to adjust, then the E5's go back to sounding very enjoyable (pre-CD3000). While both are great phones, I prefer, without a doubt, the less warm and more detailed sound of the CD3000's. Consequently, I'm now looking for a portable canalphone that more closely matches the CD3K sound. I just can't keep forcing myself to adjust every time I switch phones. I think I need more detail and better high end response in my portable cans. So, Do you think the UE's ( either the UE-5c's or possibly UE-10's, damn wallet ) would be my answer? I'm very happy with the E5's bass response (I refuse to sacrifice here with the ER-4's), I just need a cure for it's ultra laid back and smooth mids and highs.

May 19, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 28
I owned the Grado RS-1 headphones and I must say that the UE-10 PROs have the same level of detail, speed, and bass slam. The level of extreme detail, resolution, and clarity is on par with the ER-4P/S and RS-1. It's just as speedy as both too. However, the bass slam is much much better than the ER-4P/S and on par with the RS-1. I have read that the RS-1 and SONY CD3000K have their supporters and detractors too. They also have a high sound isolation rating of 26dB NRR.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2004 at 9:59 PM Post #4 of 28
Check out the Ultimate Ear UE-5C:

http://www.ultimateears.com/UE-5c.htm

this is the most basic model in the UE line-up, but will give you far more bass than the ER4 and far more clarity than the E5. It is designed to listen with your iPod where the source material has usually been mastered in the studio.

Check this thread out: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72388

Also check out Welly Wu's review of the UE-10 Pro. It sounds like the real ticket.

Other ones are the sensaphonics, 2X-S which are more expensive than the UE-5C, but come in silicon mold instead of acryllic (as in the UE-5C case)

http://www.sensaphonics.com/soft2x.html

Futuresonics also makes custom molded earphones:

http://www.futuresonics.com/html/products.html

May 19, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #5 of 28
I own the CD3000's and E2's, and yes, the CD3000's ruined my E2 experience. Sound aside, I still enjoy the E2's because they isolate well and are perfect for on-the-go use, at least in my case.

May 20, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 28
Well IME you do not necessarily to feel that one had ruined the others experience, one is IMO for portable use, the other for home use, both have their own application, I doubt you will go outside with the CD3000....so use them both....

May 20, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Well IME you do not necessarily to feel that one had ruined the others experience, one is IMO for portable use, the other for home use, both have their own application, I doubt you will go outside with the CD3000....so use them both....

Good point, he put it so much better than me, I don't know how to explain anything.
3000smile.gif

May 20, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 28
Guys....wait until your get your CD3K mods. I have on my head right now, the first CD3K with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. The cable is Senn's style, two-sided. Sound wise....absolutly amazing. I have the stock CD3K to compare side by side and the difference is very drastic.

Purk

May 20, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
Guys....wait until your get your CD3K mods. I have on my head right now, the first CD3K with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. The cable is Senn's style, two-sided. Sound wise....absolutly amazing. I have the stock CD3K to compare side by side and the difference is very drastic.

Purk

And you would describe the difference as...? When I did the cable swap on mine, I never heard them stock again, and don't really have much memory of how they were stock.

May 20, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Purk

Purk, just for curiosity, do you really feel the need of that mod, or was that you just tried it for curiosity, and liked it later on.....BTW how much is this Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable....???? I'm asumming a cable of....let me guess......a few hundreds, or am I wrong??? If this is the case any other more modest option, just for curiosity, you know....

May 20, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Guys....wait until your get your CD3K mods. I have on my head right now, the first CD3K with Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. The cable is Senn's style, two-sided. Sound wise....absolutly amazing.

Heh, I'm thinking about having Drew do that on my PS-1s, but I'm waiting till they at least get broken in first!
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 28
Sov and Iron,

I must admited that after hearing the HD-650 and Silver Dragon I was totall brown away. The HD-650 was definitly better to my ears than my stock CD3K. Unfortunately, during the Tom Hankins and Earl mini-meet my Silver Dragon (SD) cable broke down. I immediatly sent the cable out to Drew of Moon Audio and he agreed to fix it free of charge. Realizing the improvements of the SD makes to HD-650, I entertaining an idea of getting the CD3K mod and decided to sent the CD3K for Drew to evaluate.

Last weekend I went up to Raleigh for my degree commencement and decided to visit Drew at Apex to see if the modification can be done. We ended up using the broken SD cable to upgrade the CD3K to save cost. The cable was purchased used at 100 dollars.

The improvements is amazing. The soundstage is extremely wide with excellent left and right seperation. The midrange is very liquid and very intimate. The bass response, which to me is the CD3K weaknesss, is now thunderous. The high is less peaky and overall musical details is greatly enhanced. I extremely please with the silver dragon and recommend any to give it a try. The improvement is definitly drastic and very worthwhile. I'm glad I got it done.

Tom Hankins and me will have a minimeet tomorrow and he probably will share his thought on my new CD3K.

gpalmer,

I forgot to ask Drew to hear your PS1. Man....it must be really good.

Purk

May 20, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Sov and Iron,

I must admited that after hearing the HD-650 and Silver Dragon I was totall brown away. The HD-650 was definitly better to my ears than my stock CD3K. Unfortunately, during the Tom Hankins and Earl mini-meet my Silver Dragon (SD) cable broke down. I immediatly sent the cable out to Drew of Moon Audio and he agreed to fix it free of charge. Realizing the improvements of the SD makes to HD-650, I entertaining an idea of getting the CD3K mod and decided to sent the CD3K for Drew to evaluate.

Last weekend I went up to Raleigh for my degree commencement and decided to visit Drew at Apex to see if the modification can be done. We ended up using the broken SD cable to upgrade the CD3K to save cost. The cable was purchased used at 100 dollars.

The improvements is amazing. The soundstage is extremely wide with excellent left and right seperation. The midrange is very liquid and very intimate. The bass response, which to me is the CD3K weaknesss, is now thunderous. The high is less peaky and overall musical details is greatly enhanced. I extremely please with the silver dragon and recommend any to give it a try. The improvement is definitly drastic and very worthwhile. I'm glad I got it done.

Tom Hankins and me will have a minimeet tomorrow and he probably will share his thought on my new CD3K.

gpalmer,

I forgot to ask Drew to hear your PS1. Man....it must be really good.

Purk

The only part I don't like of the story, is to make holes on the other side, as this will void the warranty later on if I need to fix them under the warranty (as you may know we had some drivers dead around here) so if there should be a way of doing like the stock one, it should be great, if I had any problem later, just put back the stock and period...but I don't know, then, if the small piece of crossing cable will affect the sound...
And you say the cable is just 100.00

May 20, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 28
Hi,

Since all of my CD3Ks were bought used I don't have any problem with voiding the warranty.
rolleyes.gif
The cable itself was 100 bucks b/c I purchased them used from the member here. The new Silver dragon is 200 dollars with an addition of installation cost. Drew did an excellent job on the finishing of the cable. Two high quality strain-relieves were installed for the SD cable and my CD3K mods look just great. The only con about this upgrade is the microphonic due to a much stiffer SD. Now I have an all silver setup (Need the new IC though).

Drew believe that the the small piece of crossing cable will slightly affect the sound...

Purk

May 20, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Hi,

Since all of my CD3Ks were bought used I don't have any problem with voiding the warranty.
rolleyes.gif
The cable itself was 100 bucks b/c I purchased them used from the member here. The new Silver dragon is 200 dollars with an addition of installation cost. Drew did an excellent job on the finishing of the cable. Two high quality strain-relieves were installed for the SD cable and my CD3K mods look just great. The only con about this upgrade is the microphonic due to a much stiffer SD. Now I have an all silver setup (Need the new IC though).

Drew believe that the the small piece of crossing cable will slightly affect the sound...

Purk

Does anybody had tried the star quad, canare or mogami, of course they are not silver but pretty good cable for any application, they are al ot less stiff also, and no microphonics, due a pretty good shielding...
At least it should be the double or more of the AWG of the stock....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back