CD3000 vs Etymotic ER-4S?
Jul 17, 2003 at 3:15 AM Post #16 of 21
I've used both for some time and would hate to part with either. I use them in different situations, resorting to the ER-4s mainly when extreme isolation is desirable.

If I could keep only one, I would choose the CD3Ks.

Jul 19, 2003 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 21
Thanks for your opinions everyone. I was hoping for a general consencious as to which phone is better like what happend with the CD3000 vs RS1 thread. But being that there seemed to be no clear winner I've decided to get both the Etymotic ER-4P (with S adaptor) and the CD3000 after I first procure for myself a maxed-out Meta. I'll test out each phone for 30 days and whichever one I like least I'll send back. The only problem that could arise is if I fall in love with both phones....I can't really afford to keep both phones, but love always finds a way, right?
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 21
Maybe I just can't see it, but maybe you can point out how there was a clearly better headphone between the CD3000 and the RS-1s in that thread. The way I see it, they too are different headphones with different strengths and weaknesses. Also, at times it just comes down to a matter of personal preference.

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #19 of 21
FrostyMMB--
You know, you're absolutely right. I just finished rereading that thread and the consencious wasn't in favor of one phone over the other. I guess it really does come down to what your sonic preferences are (once you hit the high end cans, anyway) and what pads you have on the Grados.
tongue.gif

Although being that Grados vary in sound quality so much based on their pads I wonder if the results would have been different if everyone who listened to the RS-1s had either flat or Senn pads when comparing them to the CD3000s.

Jul 19, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #20 of 21
IMHO, Etymotic's best place is as portable phone or even when you want total isolation(airplane travel etc)
Once you compare them to higher-tiered phones like rs-1 , cd3000, and all.. they will start to sound a lil inferior.
I clearly prefer the 880 for home application where I don't need so much isolation,
Thus, I will only purchase ety er 4p/s for specific purpose. To me they're the best sealed cans and the sound is terrific given its size. Plus they're very portable.

Different can for different application, I would say. The ety is smaller so it doesn't give you very 'large' and full sound, but nevertheless it's intimate, soundstage is small but accurate.

Jul 19, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #21 of 21
Like everything, it's all a matter of preference. There is no absolute one better than the other. Sony's have their advantages and disavantages as do the Etys. To my ears, I prefer the sound of the Ety's over the CD 3K. Course, I'd like to have both.
biggrin.gif

Your strategy makes a great deal of sense (trying both and seeing which ones you prefer in your system with your music). It's really the only way to compare.

Good luck! Will be a difficult choice... and don't be tooo surprised if you find parting with one very difficult after the 29 day mark! Sounds like you're already prepeared to keep both.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back