CD3000 plus 75ohms improves SQ
Mar 26, 2005 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

SteveM324

Headphoneus Supremus
I was listening to my CD3K's tonight through my Supermacro amp. As usual the peaky highs were beginning to bother me on some music. So I decided to flip on the Supermacro's impedance switch. This switch adds 75 ohms of impedance and it is mainly designed to convert the Ety 4P to a 4S. Well naturally I had to increase the volume setting to get the same volume. But I noticed that the sound was slightly warmer and the peaky highs were not so peaky. I flipped the impedance switch on and off several times and repeated the same songs to get an A to B comparison. I only did this comparison over a period of about 20 minutes so I'm not sure of my conclusions. But the addtional 75 ohms did seem to improve things. I also have Xin's 75 ohm adapter that I can use on my other amps to see if it makes the same improvements that I think I hear. Anyone else try this?

Mar 26, 2005 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i tried it with my P->S cable, and i thought it made the sound too lean.

That is strange, I'm finding that with the additional 75 ohms, the sound is warmer and not so peaky in the highs.
Actually after listening some more, the sound is leaner but the highs seem to be rolled off too.

Mar 26, 2005 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveM324
That is strange, I'm finding that with the additional 75 ohms, the sound is warmer and not so peaky in the highs.
Actually after listening some more, the sound is leaner but the highs seem to be rolled off too.

yup, it should:

attenuation.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meier Audio
With most headphones, increasing the output impedance makes the headphone sound darker and more muddy (the amplifier loosens his grip/control on the movement of the driver). However, some headphones (like the Beyerdynamic DT931) definitely sound better at 120 Ohm (which is an international audio standard)

If your headphone sounds sharp and aggressive, you might consider increasing the effective output impedance of your headphone jacket. The simplest method is to place an adapter between headphone jack and headphone as shown in the figure. The adapter has a resistor placed in series with each audio-channel of the headphone. The effective output impedance is the sum of the output impedance of the jacket and the value of the resistor

(Ro + Ra).

Note: The value of the resistor should not be higher than 3 till 4 times the impedance of the headphone drivers. Further increases do hardly effect sound.

Mar 26, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #6 of 6
I didn't like how the cd3k's sounded out of the 120Ohm with Prehead. Surely it was less bright but it also took away all it's strong points, the huge soundstage, bass was slow instead of fast and punchy, sounded generally muddy. I think the some time disturbing highs can be tamed allot by having the right equipment but also I think it's some thing you'll get use to if you really like the cd3k's from the getgo. If not, then they simply are not for you. If people feel they need to use eq's and different tricks to try and get it to sound different/better then they should try and find another headphone that suits them better. Of course this is all just my opinion. I really like my cd3k's for what they were and now that I have sold them I really miss them at times
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back