CD3000 cable quality?
Jul 18, 2004 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

harkamus

500+ Head-Fier
OK, so I just read AdamZuf's review under the "featured review" section. He said the cable of the CD3000 is of poor quality in construction(cloth covered?!) and that it is microphonic. Now, that has to have been the first review where I read anything about the CD3000's cable being bad.

Can I get more thoughts on the CD3k cable? Is it really that frail? Microphonic too?!

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 14
Personally I don't think the stock CD3000 cable is that bad, it's certainly a step up from the stock hd 580/600 cable, and I don't find it microphonic either.

The cloth is a nice touch, less chance of snagging on something and feels sturdy.

Edit: Although the termination to the CD3000s does scare me, it wiggles and feels like you can pull the cable out.

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Yes it is a little microphonic, but you only will notice it, if you rub the cable, anyway the CD3000 is not a headphone to head-bang with it, it is huge. Under normal circumstances the microphony is not a problem, and not an issue for complain IMO, and some others will be as well. OTOH once you sit down and relax, enjoying its marvelous sound, you will fall in permanent ecstasy, so you will not move....LOL....
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It is also a very good purity and quality cooper one, and it is pretty strong, not fragile, at all....Are there better cables? Of course. Do I need it? Of course not, at least not me....the CD3000 sound extremely good as stock headphone, the upgrades on this one, are completely optional.....

Jul 19, 2004 at 12:12 AM Post #7 of 14
This is what I recently posted about the CD3K cable in another thread:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Oh, and the cable is awesome. I had been growing somewhat pissed off at the Oehlbach in my HD580s. Not in terms of sound or build quality, in which case the Oehlbach is a bargain and an excellent cable. But simply because of how the 580s have cables coming out of both cups, and so you have a cable that is actually two cables stuck together and then it's a pain to bend it or make it compact without you feeling/seeing that it's twisted in some awkard way. The Sony cable is both classy and convenient.

To add more detail, it's very easy to get out of the way (unlike heavy Senn replacement cables) and is very light and easy to bend. In other words, it's very unobtrusive. The whole cloth thing makes it look and feel very cool, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever with microphony. The cable plug is terminated in a beautiful silver and gold color.

Jul 19, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 14
I agree that the cable is slightly microphonic, but it's not that bad. It's pretty tough too. The cable survived a pretty brutal battle with a Dyson vacuum today.
eek.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:12 AM Post #10 of 14
All silk and cloth covered cables stink. I consider the CD300 cable very microphonic. Silk and carpet on a dry day can zap you. Run your fingers up and down the silk cable and tell me that you can't hear it inside.

Jul 19, 2004 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 14
When I got my A900s, I thought the cloth covered cable was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Now I realize that its just microphonic. Although conventional rubber doesn't look as cool, the lack of microphonics more than makes up for it.

Oh, and there is a reason (besides inconvenience) for having a cable split to each ear cup--usually having to do with design. There is also a reason that Larry at Headphile makes CD3k replacement cables that also split, I would imagine (though I could definitely be wrong).

Jul 19, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Oh, and there is a reason (besides inconvenience) for having a cable split to each ear cup--usually having to do with design. There is also a reason that Larry at Headphile makes CD3k replacement cables that also split, I would imagine (though I could definitely be wrong).

If you have the cable attached to only one said, e.g. CD3000, then you need to have a small cable for the other channel running to the earcup (usually through the headband). This cable is usually quite thin, and I suspect many would argue that you may lose some fidelity. When the cable attaches to both earcups you have identical cabling all the way.

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
If you have the cable attached to only one said, e.g. CD3000, then you need to have a small cable for the other channel running to the earcup (usually through the headband). This cable is usually quite thin, and I suspect many would argue that you may lose some fidelity. When the cable attaches to both earcups you have identical cabling all the way.

Has anyone tried recabling the CD3000 with a silver cable but with the cable attached to one one earcup?

Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality vs. a two earcup attached version?

I'd much rather have the cable attach on only one side... Boy was I happy about that when switching from the HD580 to the CD3000...

Jul 30, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Has anyone tried recabling the CD3000 with a silver cable but with the cable attached to one one earcup?

Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality vs. a two earcup attached version?

I may be the only one who has had it both ways. The latter is better, by how much, hmm, hard to say. Even though it's an improvement over stock to just go one sided, you find yourself thinking about that little crossover wire above your head and why you left it there. Then the doubt thoughts come into your head and you swear that the right side driver sounds wrong compared to the left... then you go looney
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back