CD25 vs 963SA redbook playback?
May 26, 2003 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ebonyks

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone spent quality time comparing these two players on their redbook playback? I'm sick of the absymal redbook on the Ns500v, and my Di/o decided to die, after a modding experence, so i'm stuck without a decent source.

Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2003 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 11
I had the philips for about a month earlier this year. I was not impressed with the redbook cd play of it at all. I own the CD25 but it's modified and would not be a fair comparison. I think either player would be a step up in quality of sound over what you have now. As far as build quality is concerned, hands down the CD25 seems to be better built. The Philips never broke in any way but was noisy and kind of cheap feeling. I never got to listen to SACD. On movies it's outstanding.

May 26, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 11
Wasn't the Ns500v the highly touted buget giantkiller that was superceded by the 963 as the almighty new giantkiller?

I haven't heard the Sony, but my 963 sounds good for the price, and my transport has been dead quiet so far. With Phillip's unpredictable quality control, you might do well to gamble on an SACD 1000, a much higher quality player.

May 26, 2003 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 11
It must be the luck of the draw as my 963 is dead quiet as well. I have been very pleased with it as well. I have been using the Sony 500V for DVD and have not used it for redbook since I got it. If I find another good source the 963 will be rotated into the DVD slot.

May 26, 2003 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 11
The NS500V was a good player for a great price last year,it's still a good player for the cash and I'm not the only one who thinks so.The redbook was never the strong point.It is good enough for non-critical listening a general playback but lacks the dynamics of a good mid-fi CDP.The SACD plaback is very good and it is a decent DVD player.

The 963 is the real deal.It has very good upsampled redbook playback and excellent SACD performance.The DVD is the best I have seen and I was stunned to see this player used in a super-high-end home theater system at a local installer's open house.You won't find a better player for anywhere near the price.I get to take home all the players that Decibel Audio sells(Arcam,Roksan,Cambridge,Creek,Musichall,Shand ling,Denon and Yamaha) and I have borrowed all the Marantz and Naim players from reps.Only the best dedicated players clearly outperform the 963.the Musical Fidelity A324 DAC does sound better than the 963 in most ways.The Arcam CD72 and CD92 are the best non-upsampling players I have heard and both sound better than the 963 in terms of bass definition and punch but lack the midrange of the 963.All these players are much more expensive than the 963 and the differences are most evident on only the best recordings in the best systems.there are differences and there are better players out there but not for anywhere near what the 963 costs.I have been searching very hard for any player that can clearly outperfrom the 963 in all ways and have yet to find it.The search continues.

May 26, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #6 of 11
Tuberoller: Since you have got to listen to both the players (CD25 and 963) Then can you answer the original question about differences in redbook playback between the two cdp's? I do agree about the DVD play of the 963. I have not seen alot of DVD players, and the best was the sony 9000(I think) until I saw movies on the 963.

May 26, 2003 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 11
I like the CD25 but have always felt that it was a bit overhyped.It sounds good.It has good bass and a nice full midrange.I thought it was a bit bright but some folks like that.I also found it to be cable dependant.I only had it for a few weeks but I swapped 10-15 cables attempting to tweak the sonics a bit.It never really worked out for me.I have never heard one of the modded CD25 players.It is OK for a redbook only player and is built well.

May 26, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

It sounds good.It has good bass and a nice full midrange.I thought it was a bit bright but some folks like that.I also found it to be cable dependant.

Agreed, cables make a huge difference with this player. Power cables especially seem to alter the sound.

May 26, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 11
Well, you have all got me intrigued. I did listen to a philips 963sa a while back, it was great on SACD, but i was not too impressed with the rebook then. It could have been the setup i used, a meta. It might be worth the investment. Currently, I use a NAD541i, which sounds excellent to my ears. I do have a Sony 500, and i do agree its great on SACD, but rather bright on redbook. My current favorite is the Sony C222ES, which is fantastic on SACD, and actually out performs the NAd541i in some respects. Funny thing, I actual have two Sony 500's I still have one new in the box. What i might do is replace it with Phillips 963sa. I just don't want to send it out for mods, considering the cost factor. It might just be cheaper to invest in a phillps 963sa.
Tuberoller, once again your advice is always top notch, you a gentleman and a scholar!

May 27, 2003 at 4:54 AM Post #10 of 11
While I havent been able to compare my 963SA with everything Fred has, I essentially second his opinion completely. I havent heard any cd player able to equal it on redbook cd playback under a thousand dollars.Throw in its outstanding progressive scan DVD playback, and its beyond a steal. It could stand alone at the price as just a cd player, or dvd player and still be an incredible value.

JC

Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
The NS500V was a good player for a great price last year,it's still a good player for the cash and I'm not the only one who thinks so.The redbook was never the strong point.It is good enough for non-critical listening a general playback but lacks the dynamics of a good mid-fi CDP.The SACD plaback is very good and it is a decent DVD player.

The 963 is the real deal.It has very good upsampled redbook playback and excellent SACD performance.The DVD is the best I have seen and I was stunned to see this player used in a super-high-end home theater system at a local installer's open house.You won't find a better player for anywhere near the price.I get to take home all the players that Decibel Audio sells(Arcam,Roksan,Cambridge,Creek,Musichall,Shand ling,Denon and Yamaha) and I have borrowed all the Marantz and Naim players from reps.Only the best dedicated players clearly outperform the 963.the Musical Fidelity A324 DAC does sound better than the 963 in most ways.The Arcam CD72 and CD92 are the best non-upsampling players I have heard and both sound better than the 963 in terms of bass definition and punch but lack the midrange of the 963.All these players are much more expensive than the 963 and the differences are most evident on only the best recordings in the best systems.there are differences and there are better players out there but not for anywhere near what the 963 costs.I have been searching very hard for any player that can clearly outperfrom the 963 in all ways and have yet to find it.The search continues.

May 29, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 11
orl2222,

Just wonder if you have done the following on the 963sa....

Use the L/R output from the MULTI CHANNEL output
Turn "ON" the audio direct
Try the 96khz upsampling.

I find that all these steps can substantially improve the sound of the 963sa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back