CD Visor/Case that DOESN'T Scratch the Hell out of My CDs
Aug 6, 2008 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Garret Jax

Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi,

I've owned a half dozen CD/DVD booklets/cases over the years, and all but one of them have slowly but surely scratched the hell out of my CD collection! I know this to be true because several of the CDs I only used once (to rip to my HTPC) and left in my 100 CD car case. A year later, the CDs have scratches on them. True, they're mostly or even all still playable, but I want to buy a CD Visor for my car (the kind that wraps onto the visor above your head) and I want to avoid scratching my discs. Money is no object, and I don't care at all about storage capacity beyond 5 discs.

So, can you share your personal experiences with CD flip-book cases and CD Car Visor carriers? What works? What doesn't?

Extra points if you provide product links.

Thanks, Head-Fi.
-Garret Jax

Aug 6, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

So, can you share your personal experiences with CD flip-book cases and CD Car Visor carriers? What works? What doesn't?

I've tried a bunch of them and not a single one left me happy about having them.

I was left with choosing either; carrying a box of CD's behind the front seat OR burning copies which is a big no-no according to the record company. (I'm so not trying to start the "fair use debate.")

Your problem was the same problem and actually the that pushed me into the realm of Mini-Discs. I could cram 4 CDs onto 1 Mini-Disc. They were small, almost abuse proof and great sounding.

But even then, it really wasn't working. I was still carrying around a case of Mini-Discs. Couldn't really use them well in the car and the tag'ing sucked like eating applesauce with a straw.

Hello Ipod. Started with 30g, handed that off to my wife and picked up an 80g.

I rip everything VBR at the highest quality and in environments where I use portable devices, the quality is indistinguishable from CDs. Thats a lot closer to true than closer to an exaggeration.

I'm pretty religious about tagging and all the album art is 500x500 for PC's and future media players with bigger screens and better resolutions.

All my CDs are stacked up in big Rubbermaid containers down in the basement where they never get scratched, lost or damaged (within reason).

And thats how I solved that issue with the portability of Compact Discs.

Aug 6, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was left with choosing either; carrying a box of CD's behind the front seat OR burning copies which is a big no-no according to the record company. (I'm so not trying to start the "fair use debate.")

As far as I know, you can make as many copies as you want for personal use as long as you dont give them or sell them to anyone.

Aug 7, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvgig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, you can make as many copies as you want for personal use as long as you dont give them or sell them to anyone.

It had better be, because I'm doing it anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back