cd users, how long will cd time period last?
Feb 19, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #17 of 22
IMHO They will always be around, so long as they remain sonically superior to downlodable* digital formats. Granted, the general population may not favor them, but the niche market will always have a place for them... just like vinyl LPs.

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if no one produces CD anymore tomorrow, I still have enough to last me a lifetime -- and the used market is colossal.

DRM will still be a big hurdle to wide adoption of sound files in the near future -- no one wants to pay for something that may or may not be playable under future hardware and software.

x2

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, 95% of all music sales are on physical media (i.e. CDs).

Just like there are people who refuse to abandon vinyl because of sound quality, there will be people who refuse to download crappy mp3s (i'm one of them). There are also people who like the packaging you can't get with downloads.

Reports of the demise of the CD have been greatly exaggerated.

+1

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #20 of 22
Unlike LD, which died a rapid death after the introduction of DVD, CDs are not just a music media; people use them for archiving data. The simply unimaginable number of CDs/CD-Rs already present will ensure that CD-reading devices will still be marketed for quite a few decades.

The potential of downloadable sound media is limitless; pretty soon you can have the complete Mahler symphonies, in all its 9.1 channel glory, beamed to you in a second, and you can keep the whole thing on a chip the size of a fingernail. The problem is -- will the music cartel let you have it? They'd rather sell the music piecemeal, and putting each morsel in a nice package (which incidentally costs next to nothing to make) will enhance its value in the eye of the customer. CD (and soon enough SACD, hopefully) fits this business model perfectly.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #21 of 22
I only ask two things:

1. It better be a physical format
2. It better be lossless

I like CDs (and Lps, but I have not the money to start into that). I like what they stand for. They are a physical possession of music that brings one happiness. They are more reliable than digital files. I can rip them to my HD and still have them as masters.

Personally, I think people (as a collective mainstream) are lazy, and that is why they are turning away from CDs (and LPs).

Feb 20, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only ask two things:

1. It better be a physical format
2. It better be lossless

I like CDs (and Lps, but I have not the money to start into that). I like what they stand for. They are a physical possession of music that brings one happiness. They are more reliable than digital files. I can rip them to my HD and still have them as masters.

Personally, I think people (as a collective mainstream) are lazy, and that is why they are turning away from CDs (and LPs).

I'm a lazy one. I will take a digital file for convenience. This is to listen in my car, walks, gym, work, etc. Critical home listening where I'm hunkered down in my recliner with full size hps and a hi end system is different. The equipment is better and the medium is there so you can focus on one sensory function, listening. . A streaming lossless feed to most listening environments is quality enough to believe because other senses are being used.

If I was stuck to LPs or SACDs, I could only listen to my music at home. The industry has to give us some freedom of material as technology improves or it will create its own demise (as discussed elsewhere on this forum). Limiting us to our recliner is bad for our health. Thats it, my back is bad because the music industry forced me into a poor lifestyle.

Management of material is another reason to go digital. I opened up quite a bit of wall space by ripping. I can arrange it however I want. I'm not dealing with scratched CDs, broken cases, theft. If I loose my portable, I get another one and I'm back in business. I loose a HD, I bring in one of my backup HDs and replace it. Playing random makes me listen to music I wouldn't usually reach for. I don't have to spend time changing formats for variety which is a good thing for me.

As portable storage mediums get smaller/cheaper, we will have drives large enough to do video and/or hi resolution audio. DACs will bring music to life, hps will have sub-bass, and a chicken in every pot.... I hope I'm around to hear it.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back