CD transport recommendations for Schiit Mjolnir 2 head amp with Gungnir Multibit DAC
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

freemason

Head-Fier
Have just purchased the following:

- Schiit Mjolnir 2 head amp

- Gungnir Multibit DAC

Will be buying MrSpeakers Ether headphones.

Looking for a CD transport to match with the above gear for around $500.

Candidates so far:

- Cambridge Audio CXC

- Audiolab M-CDT

- Heed Audio Obelisk DT

Audiolab unfortunately has no display and no remote, as it is primarily designed to go with their M-DAC. Am wondering though if it would be worth sacrificing these things if it is a better DAC than the Cambridge? Heed is more expensive and has been around a while now.

Dec 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemason /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DAC recommendations for Schiit Mjolnir 2 head amp with Gungnir Multibit DAC

Have just purchased the following:

- Schiit Mjolnir 2 head amp

- Gungnir Multibit DAC

Will be buying MrSpeakers Ether headphones.

Looking for a CD transport to match with the above gear for around $500.

Candidates so far:

- Cambridge Audio CXC

- Audiolab M-CDT

- Heed Audio Obelisk DT

Audiolab unfortunately has no display and no remote, as it is primarily designed to go with their M-DAC. Am wondering though if it would be worth sacrificing these things if it is a better DAC than the Cambridge? Heed is more expensive and has been around a while now.

Not sure if those are typos or not but we need to clarify first that your Gungnir will be the DAC in that system. A dedicated CD transport has no DAC in it, and a CDP used as a transport will have a DAC in it but it won't matter if you are kicking the digital data over to the Gungnir.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #3 of 15
Oops, brain-fade. I meant 'transport' in the heading, not 'DAC'.

Have fixed it, should make sense now!

Got this info from Audiolab:

"The MDAC remote only works with the MDAC then the IR output on the MDAC connects to the IR input on the M-CDT to control the M-CDT."

That makes the M-CDT fairly useless for matching with any other DAC.

Can anyone think of any other decent DACs or shall I just get the Cambridge Audio CXC? 

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 15
MODERATOR can you please move this to 'Dedicated Source Components'? I was unable to post this there. I verified my account but can't post anywhere except here, I get no 'start new thread' button on any other part of the forum.

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemason /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MODERATOR can you please move this to 'Dedicated Source Components'? I was unable to post this there. I verified my account but can't post anywhere except here, I get no 'start new thread' button on any other part of the forum.

This thread will have to stay here since you started it at this point in time. However when you can start a new thread there, you can go back here, click on the "Report" button on the lower left of the first post, and then note that you're requesting it to be moved.

Don't be daunted by it being a "report" button, that doesn't mean like "report to the cops" all the time - I mean, we also report potholes and leaks to City Hall or the water company or whatever. I've used that button to get my own double posts and other errors deleted.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 15
The Cambridge is the newest of the three, and appears to be pretty good for the price. I'm curious myself about that, since most people around here have never dreamed of getting a dedicated CD transport--and to be fair most people in general don't consider that possibility. 

I've been looking into the C.E.C. transports recently and drooling. They have a new one  that can be had for under a grand in Japan, but seems to be two-three times that everywhere else. (http://www.cec-web.co.jp/service/download/document/catalog/TL5_ENG_Catalog_w.pdf)

Right now I've been comparing the USB vs. Optical CD player output on my audio-gd Dac-19 with Amanero 384 usb input (which blocks USB power from computer). The difference is stark, with the old Denon CD player as transport offering a much more relaxed and rounder sound: pleasing, and relaxing. However, with jplay, fidelizer pro, and a Chord USB SilverPlus cable, the sound is much sharper. The instruments are better positioned and separated, and the tones are richer, more 3D, and bolder. Overall, it's still a little bit harder sounding than the CD player, but probably more exciting/engaging in some ways. 

I think there are a lot of mitigating factors with computer audio (most of which can be overcome with enough determination, effort, and mullah), and am very attracted to the simplicity of a good dedicated CD transport to a good DAC with strong optical implementation. Still, most hard-core audiophiles seem to think the high-end stuff is the only stuff that's worth it, and it costs a lot, too. 

Most people think the DAC is the source, but they're wrong, the source is where your files are held and then, secondly, how the data is extracted and transferred to your DAC. A lot can go wrong in those two processes. While some would argue that computer files from a well-ripped album in WAV are usually better quality than CDs, others would add that the computer processes involved in locating and transferring that data are not as fail-proof as a good ol' laser beam and drive mechanism. C.E.C. uses belts like in high end turn tables, but it's debatable whether that's the best way to do it, or if it's just a kitch thing they do to make money from gullible rich audiophiles. 

One of my problems is that I actually need to use my computer, and so I don't really like the idea of using it as a dedicated source. Secondly, I feel that storing CDs is actually better than digital files, even if I may be naive about that. My wife tends to disagree as well. 

In short, I'm really glad that there are finally CD transports within the realm of possibility, but I'm not sure whether they're really as good as the high-end stuff or not. 

The other option is to get a high-end CD player second hand and use as a transport. Depending on where you live, that might be even better than the Cambridge, but I have no idea how it would gel with the Gungnir.

Dec 15, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #7 of 15

That TL5 looks tasty, looks like it was released this year?

If they make it with Australian voltage I may have to send my man in Japan on a mission...

Dec 15, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 15
I know, right? There have been consistently great reviews of these specialty transports, including one last year of their previous model, which I think is very similar to the new one, http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/cec_tl3n.htm. They do have very high end models though that look really crazy, but I'm sure the return on investment is pretty low--that is, beyond having something in the living room everyone will be awed over. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/cec/cec.html

To be honest, I'm listening to my Denon some more, and the relaxed sound, plus the simplicity of plugging in a CD player to my DAC-19 is growing on me, even though at this level I'm losing some of the rigid precision that I get with my computer. I don't know why more head-fiers aren't into using CD transports... After all, people are crazy about tube amps. But you don't need a tube amp if your source is already smooth as butter.

Dec 16, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 15
I've been given a price for the CEC TL5 here in Australia by Aussie dealer Audio Connection of AU$3000. In Japan looks like it costs about 100,000 Yen, which is about AU$1000. So triple the price to buy it local. Typical of inflated prices Aussie dealers charge.

http://kakaku.com/item/K0000770012/

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #10 of 15
Yep, it's more than double the Japan price in Israel, but that doesn't shock me because of the high import duties and tax rate. Actually, I'm not sure if the local dealer is making a ton on this, but it still puts it a bit out of my price league at the moment.

Actually, I've been considering getting some better cables for my computer system instead of going with a CD transfer altogether. 

Alternatively, used Meridian, Cyrus and Rega CD players are reported to be fine as transports if you are still looking, but otherwise, the Cambridge might be a better bet if you want new. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 15
Just a question - is there a difference between any of the CD transports in terms of sound quality? to me it seems like all they're supposed to do is send the digital data via coax/TOSlink etc into an external DAC. Would there be any difference between any CD players with a digital out for that matter?

I'm using an ancient NAD SACD and feeding it via coax to my DAC. Feeding my DAC with other sources (such as TOSlink out of my DAP) seem to result in an identical sound.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 15
This is like asking "do cables make a difference"? Google the question you're asking and see what a Pandora's box it is. 

I ended up getting a Pro-Ject Box CD RS and am very happy with it. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by intlsubband /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a question - is there a difference between any of the CD transports in terms of sound quality? to me it seems like all they're supposed to do is send the digital data via coax/TOSlink etc into an external DAC. Would there be any difference between any CD players with a digital out for that matter?

I'm using an ancient NAD SACD and feeding it via coax to my DAC. Feeding my DAC with other sources (such as TOSlink out of my DAP) seem to result in an identical sound.

With headphones, not really. Paying more for a transport gets you a more overbuilt one, which in theory isolates the mechanism from its own vibrations as well as airborne vibrations from the speakers. You don't even have airborne vibrations with headpones, and any decent brand CDP (ie anything that isn't built like a big store video disk player) should have enough parts to deal with vibration and anything from its own mechanical parts that might cause a problem can be easily dealt with using isolation cones (no need to blow a lot of money on those either).

To be perfectly honest the only time I've heard any difference was with a carousel SACD player from Sony. It sounded crappy so I opened it up thinking I'd try putting spare Dynamat on the chassis, and instead found the spindle arm holding up the disk visibly vibrating. Applied blutack to massload that arm and when I hit play, even before I put the cover back on, the bass was more solid. Same thing when I got back to my chair and the cover was screwed back on. In all other cases I couldn't detect any difference with any vibration cones, although they're otherwise mass-loaded as I put a thick rubber mat over the CDP (more for protection really) then the amp goes over it.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 15
  This is like asking "do cables make a difference"? Google the question you're asking and see what a Pandora's box it is. 

I ended up getting a Pro-Ject Box CD RS and am very happy with it. 

With headphones, not really. Paying more for a transport gets you a more overbuilt one, which in theory isolates the mechanism from its own vibrations as well as airborne vibrations from the speakers. You don't even have airborne vibrations with headpones, and any decent brand CDP (ie anything that isn't built like a big store video disk player) should have enough parts to deal with vibration and anything from its own mechanical parts that might cause a problem can be easily dealt with using isolation cones (no need to blow a lot of money on those either).

To be perfectly honest the only time I've heard any difference was with a carousel SACD player from Sony. It sounded crappy so I opened it up thinking I'd try putting spare Dynamat on the chassis, and instead found the spindle arm holding up the disk visibly vibrating. Applied blutack to massload that arm and when I hit play, even before I put the cover back on, the bass was more solid. Same thing when I got back to my chair and the cover was screwed back on. In all other cases I couldn't detect any difference with any vibration cones, although they're otherwise mass-loaded as I put a thick rubber mat over the CDP (more for protection really) then the amp goes over it.

Thanks forthe responses! I'll probably stick to my old NAD.

Oct 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 15
How about an Emotiva ERC-3 for $499:  http://emotiva.com/products/sources/erc-3

I'm in the opposite boat.  I have the ERC-3 and am thinking about getting a gumby + mj2.  I just wish gumby had an AES input since the ERC-3 has the output.  I was looking at the Yggy which does have AES input but man it costs so much more than gumby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back