CD transport needed for Schiit Mjolnir 2 head amp, Gungnir Multibit DAC
Dec 14, 2015 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

freemason

Head-Fier
Have just purchased the following:

- Schiit Mjolnir 2 headphone amp

- Gungnir Multibit DAC

Will also be buying MrSpeakers Ether headphones.

Looking for a CD transport to match with the above gear for around $500.

Candidates so far:

- Cambridge Audio CXC

- Audiolab M-CDT

- Heed Audio Obelisk DT

Audiolab unfortunately has no display and no remote, as it is primarily designed to go with their M-DAC. Got this info from Audiolab:

"The MDAC remote only works with the MDAC then the IR output on the MDAC connects to the IR input on the M-CDT to control the M-CDT."

Am wondering though if it would be worth sacrificing convenience if it is better than the Cambridge? Heed Obelisk DT is more expensive and has also been around a while now.

Can anyone think of any other decent DACs or shall I just get the Cambridge Audio CXC? 

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 13
I am not sure about audio-lab or Cambridge audio but I've other places good reviews of their products.
Theta data II / basic / III are very quality cd transports and you can find a used piece for under $500.

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #3 of 13
Oppo BDP-103D for $599 direct from Oppo.  I really like everything about my 105D, and you'll have a superior DAC to plug into.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Overview.aspx

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 13
I already have a blu-ray player that reads CDs. I want a dedicated transport, trusting this will give me better sound.

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I have the Cambridge CXC for the last 5 months and it is excellent.
I was using a Marantz SA15S2 Ltd as a transport to my QuteHD DAC.
The CXC made me sell the Marantz which is no slouch at 2k and 30lbs.
There was that much of a difference. Superb Red Book/ PCM in to the Chord.
That help?

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks! Sounds like you're very happy with the CXC.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 13
I have CXC and Gumby. The CXC is a great CD transport for the money. It was a definite step up from my Rega Apollo R which I was using as a transport before. More detail and a much more open and spacious depiction of soundstage.

However, you should be aware that with the Gungnir MB there is a somewhat annoying delay after you press play, so that if a track has no lead time you won't hear the first couple of seconds. It also will do this when forwarding or going back a track. If you play a CD straight through, however, there is no muting or clicking in between tracks. Also if you press pause on the CXC the Gumby will click repeatedly.

This is somewhat annoying to me but the sound is so good I can live with it. Just wanted you to be aware of this aspect of the Gumby/CXC combo in case this is a deal breaker for you.

I'm not sure if it does this with other transports or not. Haven't tried any others.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 13
Thanks for that, glad to hear it sounds like a good combination. 

Did you let Schiit know about the delay and clicking issues?

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 13
  Thanks for that, glad to hear it sounds like a good combination. 

Did you let Schiit know about the delay and clicking issues?

This issue is talked about here in the Gungnir thread...it is a known issue with some transports. http://www.head-fi.org/t/603219/schiit-gungnir-dac/2955

From the Gungnir manual:

FAQ

Hey, this thing clicks between songs/between inputs/etc!

Yes, it does.

Care to explain why?
Sure. That’s the muting relay engaging when there’s no input. Many
computer sources turn off the digital audio output between songs and when
changing sampling rates. We went with a muting relay because it’s the best
way to ensure there are no clicks or pops when the input is unlocked. But it
does click a bit.

So it seems the CXC when stopped, paused and << / >> a track gives no input to the dac which causes the muting relay to engage.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 13
At some I too will want a new transport to use with my Gungnir MB that does not have the clicking issue. My Oppo 980H doesn't have the issue. The only other transport I have available to try out is an old Denon changer Dcm 420, and this does have the issue.

Any one else out there have suggestion on currently available transports that don't have the clicking issue? What about the Tascam cd-200?

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 13
I ended up getting the Pro-Ject CD BOX RS. No clicking issues.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks Freemason and bacobits.
So now we have the Oppo 980H (discontinued) and the Project CD Rs box confirmed as not causing the relays to click. Possibly the CA cxc, although seb 7 reports clicking. There must be more options? I guess you can't tell until you try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back