CD text/titles
Aug 14, 2001 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MacDEF

Headphone Hussy (will wear anything if it sounds good)
For those of you with CD-text-capable players, how many CDs have you found that actually contain CD text?

My Sony 333ES SACD supports CD text for both SACDs and CDs, but until today I hadn't come across *any* standard CDs that had titles/text. Tonight I put in a four-year-old Apollo Four Forty CD and... hey, that's interesting... titles!
wink.gif

Just wondering. Jude? Any you've come across?

Aug 15, 2001 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Interesting how all hybrid SACDs contain text on the SACD layer, but not the CD layer.

I wonder if they think text will make more people SACD converts, since all SACD discs contain text. I like the text capability though, especially for 5-disc changers. But I hate manually programming CD titles.

Aug 15, 2001 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 13
Manually programming must stink. Unless you've got a PS/2 keyboard input, like my Sony 60-CD changer.

Aug 15, 2001 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 13
My discman has CD-text, but none of my prerecorded CDs have it. But many of my burned CDs do have it, it depends on the burner/software used.

I think all Sony CDs made in the last 3 years or so do have CD-text, but i don't have any sony CDs.

Minidisc also has it of course, but its very time-consuming to manually enter in all the titles. But MD computer interfaces/ MD decks with ps/2 inputl solve that problem.

I don't see as much point of storing names in a CD changer, does it lose the song names when you remove the disc, or does it actually keep a large database of all your CDs like CDDB on computers?

Aug 15, 2001 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by raymondlin
These CDs have but it doesn't mean I have them!

We'd believe you more if you weren't wearing a Mandy Moore t-shirt and a hat that says "Wake me up before you go go" -- not to mention a 3-D "dancing baby" screensaver.

Decked out like that, it's a tough sell, Ray.
wink.gif

Aug 15, 2001 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 13
I own a Sony 400 disc mega-changer with CD-text. I own about 135 pre-recorded CDs and 3 have CD-text.:

G. Love - Philadelphonic
John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969-1999 (2-disc set)

I love the fact that the John Williams one has it because it's a compilation and I don't recognize the songs on it as readily. I wish more classical CDs had it because then I could improve my ability to recognize pieces. The best part of the CD-text feature with my player is that the Artist/CD/Song names appear not only on the player, but also on the LCD remote and on a TV so I can see it from anywhere in the room.

The biggest drawback of a Macintosh (IMHO) at the moment for what I use it for (I'm not trying to start a war here) is the fact that currently no software supports entering CD-text on a CD. The hardware supports it, you'd think that the software would be the easy part. I want 400 CDs with all of the songs labeled it would be soo easy to use. Oh well.

Aug 15, 2001 at 7:00 PM Post #11 of 13
Thomas, about naming the songs... As far as I know (this is how the Sony ones work) you can't type in the songs on the CD, only the artist and CD name. The song names are only displayed if there is CD-text on the disc.

The way my player works is that you enter the information, and that information is stored with that slot, so if you take the CD out just put it back where you got it from and all is well. If you have a keyboard, entering the info takes no time at all, I've even gotten pretty quick with the jog-dial method.

I think some mega-changers (Pioneer maybe)actually recognize the disc and if you take it out you can put it anywhere and the title and artist are already entered.

Aug 15, 2001 at 10:13 PM Post #12 of 13
grr, thx, i was just wondering if they had a large memory that stores all the CDs you have (hundreds, or just enough memory to store the names of the CDs in the slots.... but i guess if you have a large enough changer, all your CDs will be in a slot...

computers create a database that stores all your song/album/artist names, and recognizes it based on the number of tracks and total playing time of each CD. And if it can't find the CD, it will go to online databases to find it.

the most pointless technology around is Sony's joint text technology, which can transfer CD-text onto MD. I mean, there are only 3 CDPs that support it, virtually no CD's that support it, and only a few MDs that support it... And yet sony keeps on marketing it as a must-have feature...

Aug 15, 2001 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 13
Ha ha, that joint-text thing is kinda funny. I just thought of something. So, Sony invented CD-text correct? Why the @#$@#$ does the SONY software that comes with my SONY CD-burner not allow me to put @#$# CD-text on my CDs that I will play on my SONY CD player?!? Sorry about the language, but does this seem like a no-brainer to anyone else?

The CD-text feature was one of the leading reasons I bought the thing, well the cool remote also helped. But it wasn't until I came home and loaded up my 75 CDs that I realized I only had 1 stinkin' CD with CD-text already on it, and then when I went searching online, I couldn't even burn CD-text onto new CDs because I had a Mac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back