cd storage- I could just about cry..
Apr 26, 2005 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pne

Headphoneus Supremus
Last weekend I spent two full days on my computer, painstakingly ripping my albums with EAC and burning them onto cd-r's, it was something I had put off for way too long and by the end I was quite satisfied (around 50 albums burnt). I arranged them alphabetically into a generic 50 disc cd case (book type) and put my albums into storage. Well today I pull out some Lou Reed to listen to, and notice something odd, light scratches on the surface? I smack myself for not being careful with the cd and deposit it carefully back into the case when I finish. Then the next cd, Dire Straits, what?! there's scratches on this too? What did I do?? A closer inspection revealed, EVERY SINGLE CD had light surface scratches on it, minty new cd-r's less than 48 hours old! What the #*$&# is going on here?

Why the hell would a cd case which is supposed to protect cd's actually scratch them? Why would they make the plastic sleeves hard enough to scratch the surface of a cd? I feel like I just got screwed, and wasted 50 bucks on cd-rs, another 10 on a USELESS cd case! So if any of you are using these book/binder style cases, check your cd's to see if they're scratched/damaged! I'm at a complete loss...and I think buying 50 jewel cases might be the only storage option at this point.
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Why the hell would a cd case which is supposed to protect cd's actually scratch them? Why would they make the plastic sleeves hard enough to scratch the surface of a cd? I feel like I just got screwed, and wasted 50 bucks on cd-rs, another 10 on a USELESS cd case! So if any of you are using these book/binder style cases, check your cd's to see if they're scratched/damaged! I'm at a complete loss...and I think buying 50 jewel cases might be the only storage option at this point.
frown.gif

I have a ton of damaged CD-R's stored in those awful CD binders. Not only scratches, but I've gotten weird smudges that could only be some sort of chemical reaction between the CD and the felt material... just don't know what else could cause such a thing. They don't come off with any solvents I've tried yet.

Since then I started storing my CD-R's on spools. But gsferrari's idea of using Slappa cases is excellent. Nary a single problem with the CD's in my (first generation) Slappa case.

Apr 26, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 16
Apr 26, 2005 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 16
I keep all of my cd's in those book type cases, and the only one I have had any luck with not scratching my cds was "case logic". I have had my cds in those cases for about 6 yrs and they are all fine. But I have encountered cheap "cd projects" and others like them, scratch my cds.

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 16
I've had pretty good luck with my CaseLogic binder and I'm considering getting a SLAPPA one as well.

pne, wasn't copying your discs onto CDR a defense against getting scratches on your originals? If you hadn't copied them, you'd have scratched CDs. I wouldn't worry about it too mutch as long as the CDRs play fine. If the scratches get worse, you can always re-copy the CD or copy your CDRs, since EAC has error correction and is great with scratched discs.

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Seconding Slappa. I burn a copy of all my cds, keep the copy in a Slappa case, and keep the original in the original holder.

Oh yes, and speaking from experience, it's best to make a copy as soon as you get a new disc. Don't do like I did, and wait until you have 300+ cds before starting to make copies.
eek.gif
That was so tedious, took about a week.
frown.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:54 PM Post #11 of 16
unless you have to keep your collection ultra-mobile or you just don't have the space, it's stupid IMO to use anykind of binder.

Apr 26, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhwilkin
Don't do like I did, and wait until you have 300+ cds before starting to make copies.
eek.gif
That was so tedious, took about a week.
frown.gif

That's over 42 CDs per day!
blink.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

viator122 said...

That's over 42 CDs per day!
blink.gif

Yup. I was unemployed during that time period, or it would've taken even longer. By far the most annoying part was when I got to my import cds, which of course rarely had online database entries w/ track listings. So I had to find and enter all the track names manually. About halfway through I was seriously considering paying someone to do it for me. I do really like all my copies having CD-Text enabled now, so in that respect they're better than the originals. It's a shame that most cds don't have CD-Text, it's nice being able to see the album and track title displayed as it's playing.

Apr 29, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 16
Yep, I concur. Most of the scratches on my CDs come from either car deck usage or my CD Projects steel case. I only use my CD case for CD-Rs, never for original CDs. What a pain, as it is quite heavy and bulky to transport CDs in their original jewel cases... also, the cases are easily damaged in my backpack.
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back