CD Stopping
Jan 10, 2003 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

valthainos

New Head-Fier
Well... my friend got a Sony DCJ01KITCS pcdp recently and I am still in awe at what it does: it will stop spinning the disc yet keep playing the song. WHY!? Is there some kind of flash memory in there that gets song data and just plays it back through that. I am going to try and stick down the cd-closing tab so that I can open the casing and keep the cdp playing. When the cd has stopped I'll open up the case and remove the disc, and see what happens
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm pretty sure I won't even get to do this 'cause of you guys and your vast knowledge. Ah well... any comments would be appreciated.

Jan 10, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #4 of 6
I noticed thatmy PCDP does the same thing. Inside is a little switch that allowed me to turn off the buffering. This supposedly helps sound quality, so if you can do so, do so. The newer units can buffer as much as a minute of music that's read ahead, so while the music is playing it shuts down the spindle and saves power. Another reason the new units last longer on their battery life.

Jan 10, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 6
In MP3 mode, the CD will spin continuiously when using the AC adaptor, while using battery power the CD is designed to stop to reduce power consumption.

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2003 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 6
I set my G-protection setting to 1 ('low') and while it spins audio CDs continuously (small uncompressed buffer doesn't allow enough cache time to stop spinning the CD) mp3 CDs still stop spinning--no need to worry about this degrading quality as mp3s are very compressed already and the cache can store a long period of mp3 music as it is.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back