CD Source for new Ety ER4P
Feb 26, 2002 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bobby C

Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'm new to this board & the world of headphones ('cept for some old Koss phones in the 70's). I'm into hi-end audio, I feel solid there, but completely lost on this new application. Here's my situation:

On the home front, I'm set, though eventually I'll get a headphone amp. The reason I got the Ety's (still on order) is for airplane use & office use. I have an older portable player for plane use (Panasonic SL S255C) that I may eventually replace, but my office - there's the question. Because of security (or lack thereof), I don't want a high end source. I have an older boombox in the basement (JVC Hyer something) that I can put in the office, any sense the quality of that type of souce (& headphone jack)? Would I be better off using the portable player in the office? Are both junk?

As someone who has invested a lot in my home system, I know how quality of all components determine the eventual sound - Ety's sound like great phones, any help on the source side is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bob

ps When I receive the phones, I'll post a review & impressions.

Feb 26, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Welcome! Always good to see another convert to the cause.

There are a bunch of posts on different sources at this forum and others. It helps to start with some assumptions...

What's your goal for this unit? Is portability the main factor? What about battery life? Do you need skip protection? What's your budget? Do you have an amp?

Many PCDs produce decent sound as is... but most current PCDs don't have high wattage output from the headphone jack. (e.g. current Panasonic portables have 8 miliwatt output). That's decent enough for the Ety4P, but good amplification can really bring out the best in those cans.

Go the the Main Forums page here, select Portable Audio, then choose Featured Full Portable Reviews. It's a good place to start.

Good luck!
Bruce

Feb 26, 2002 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 3
I've got one of those Denon/Mission combos in my office, which I originally got to play through the speakers. However, I've found that it also drives Ety 4S adequately and the sound quality is very adequate, if not exceptional (I too am spoiled by a high end home rig).

Perhaps you want to take your phones and a CD to your local electronics retailer and try them on some of the so-called executive systems to see how they grab you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back