CD Ripping Question
Nov 1, 2005 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

BRBJackson

Headphoneus Supremus
Now that I have UE-10 Pro's (and soon a Hornet amp), I am finding that 224k AAC rips aren't cutting it anymore. Have tried a couple of 320k / Apple Lossless files, and can definitely hear the difference. I've decided to re-rip my CD collection, but want to make sure this is the LAST time, regardless of what DAP I may get in the future. What I'm thinking is to first convert each CD to the most perfect bit-for-bit format possible regardless of file size, then re-encode those files as needed to suit my DAP needs.

First, do you all think this is a good idea? If so, what software / format should I use to make that first rip? Also, is there some kind of universal program that will let me convert the first rip to AAC, MP3, etc.? Lastly, what application would you suggest to manage the files between my PC and DAP? I'm trying to get away from being dependant on iTunes.

Thanx in advance, and sorry for the n00b Q's, but I'm a total virgin when it comes to this stuff.

Nov 1, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for the reply, Halcyon. I'll check them out. BTW, how large can I expect an average 5 minute .wav to be, using EAC ?

I phrased my paragraph in the OP oddly. What I meant to say is that I can tell the difference between 224 and 320, as well as 224 vs. Lossless. 320 vs. Lossless would be pushing things a bit, but I can at least confirm that the UE-10's are revealing to the last degree (in a good way). With the Hornet, I hope to be able to read the date on a dime in the 3rd chair cellist's right front pocket
etysmile.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
BTW, how large can I expect an average 5 minute .wav to be, using EAC ?

If you rip to disk the .wav files without compression using EAC, you can simply calculate the size:

CD sampling rate is 44100 data sample per second per channel, each data sample is 16 bits, or 2 bytes. Therefore 2 x 44100 x 2 bytes = 17600 bytes per second. 60 seconds a minute, therefore 17600 x 60 = 10,584,000 bytes per minute. 5 minutes of it is 5 x 10,584,000 = 52,920,000 bytes, or roughly 53 Mb of music in .wav file format.

Cheers,
W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back